Thread: 145 rootkits! good or bad? please help.

Default 145 rootkits! good or bad? please help.

Sony Vaio 1 terabyte laptop (810 free) Windows 10 home (originally windows 8) bought second hand. Intel (R) Core i5 4200 CPU 1.60GHZ

I've had the laptop for years and this is the first time I ran a quick rootkit check. I have found 145 rootkits but don't know if they are good or bad. Goodness knows how many it would have found if I'd done a deep check.

I have a problem with the laptop with 100% Disc 100% CPU and 100% memory at times (not at the same time) when the laptop slows down and becomes unresponsive. Start up takes a while even though I've disabled everything except anti virus and firewall.

How can I analyse the log? I just have no idea! I'm having trouble uploading the file log it says error.

Please help. Thank you.

Suzilu

Hello suzilu,

The RootAlyzer is an analyst tool and not a scan and fix program.

In general all items found by the RootAlyzer are not necessarily malicious, sometimes legitimate software uses rootkit technologies.

If you suspect an infection it would be best if someone can take a look at the system in the Malware Removal Forum

Please start a new topic there, the forum's FAQ includes instructions in post #2 on how to provide the logs from Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and aswMBR, which are the logs used in the preliminary analysis.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

If you cannot produce the logs start a new topic there anyway and let the helper know.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016