Thread: Windows Defender Antivirus has detected malware or other potentially unwanted softwar

Default Windows Defender Antivirus has detected malware or other potentially unwanted softwar

Does anyone else get this error in Windows Defender?
    The only way I found to supperss this error was to add my host file to Windows Defender exclusion list but that seems unsafe?
    Is there a better way?

Code:
    Windows Defender Antivirus has detected malware or other potentially unwanted software.
     For more information please see the following:
    https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=37020&name=SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack&threatid=265754&enterprise=0
     	Name: SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack
     	ID: 265754
     	Severity: Severe
     	Category: Settings Modifier
     	Path: file:_C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
     	Detection Origin: Local machine
     	Detection Type: Concrete
     	Detection Source: Real-Time Protection
     	User: PHILNEWPC\Phil
     	Process Name: C:\Program Files (x86)\Safer-Networking Ltd\Spybot Anti-Beacon\Spybot3AntiBeacon.exe
     	Security intelligence Version: AV: 1.325.712.0, AS: 1.325.712.0, NIS: 1.325.712.0
     	Engine Version: AM: 1.1.17500.4, NIS: 1.1.17500.4

You could contact Team Spybot and ask about that. There's a form to fill out here.
    https://www.safer-networking.org/support/#contactform

To clarify, the above question is for Spybot Anti-Beacon.

I tried asking customer suppor but they never replied to me.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

I don't know the answer to your question, which is why I referred you to the contact form. You can select anti-beacon or anti-beacon plus in the pull-down menu on the contact form. Was the form the way you contacted customer support? It might take a while to get a reply, I figure, if they have a lot of questions. How long has it been since you contacted them? I'm just asking to make sure your message didn't get lost or something, hence no reply.

AntiBeacon modifies the hosts file in a protective way. But Defender takes any modification of the file as a threat. This is a false positive. Feel free to ignore the defenders detection here. Thank you.
    (m/f)