Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virus / Malware Detected Google Chrome and Defender PopUp

OK - thank you! So far the computer has been good after the scan this morning. I do not see the threats pop up anymore. Also, I noticed before the scan that a new instance or new tab in Chrome was being redirected. Now it is back to normal.

I ran the ESET online and below is the log. I saw no threats. I also added the Chrome Adblocker - thank you!

One question, I was wondering if there was a specific malware/virus/security software I should run or should I run one at all? I ask as I just bought this computer for my daughter. It is the nicest one I have ever bought . She is 11 and is very interested in coding, games, etc and is learning more and taking several coding classes (python, css, html, etc.). I suspect she will continue to expand and practice and from my experience these things can happen with viruses and malware from time to time. Any suggestions for a budding computer programmer?

Also, does it look to you like the computer is back to normal now?

ESET Scanner:

2/3/2021 21:45:06 PM
    Files scanned: 326189
    Detected files: 0
    Cleaned files: 0
    Total scan time: 00:21:22
    Scan status: Finished

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

One question, I was wondering if there was a specific malware/virus/security software I should run or should I run one at all? I ask as I just bought this computer for my daughter. It is the nicest one I have ever bought . She is 11 and is very interested in coding, games, etc and is learning more and taking several coding classes (python, css, html, etc.). I suspect she will continue to expand and practice and from my experience these things can happen with viruses and malware from time to time. Any suggestions for a budding computer programmer?

Also, does it look to you like the computer is back to normal now?
    When you bought the machine it was pre-loaded with Windows Defender, a product from Microsoft.
    This is an antivirus app, that is sufficient with normal use. Now, you have a young daughter who in time will probably enjoy meeting and sharing messages with her friends, this is normal but this is also where trouble can start.
    Not that she communicates but rather they share links and they like to 'click' on links to see what was sent. Really doesn't matter which platform was used as in Facebook, messenger app, game apps, other types of message apps, the point is, don't click on links or suspicious downloads.
    The worse methods of infections, downloads, malicious links, malicious embedded urls.

Something I suggest is, continue to use MalwareBytes as an anti-malware scanner which also includes a browser guard. After the trial period is over from this app, just keep it and update it daily.

What we've removed off the computer was easy, but, it could had been much, much worse.

I'm going to have you remove the tools and folders we used and then I'm going to post a few tips on how to keep the new computer secure.

Use this tool to remove quarantined items:

Please download KpRm by Kernel-panik and save to your Desktop.
    • Click on KpRm.exe to run the tool.

Vista/Windows 7/8/10 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
    • Put a check mark next to these items:

- Delete tools
    - Delete now
    • Click the "Run" button.

• When the tool has finished, it will create and open a log report and delete itself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

• AdBlock is a browser add-on that blocks annoying banners, pop-ups and video ads.
    • CryptoPrevent places policy restrictions on loading points for ransomware (eg. CryptoWall), helping prevent the execution of malware.
    • Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) is designed to prevent zero-day malware from exploiting vulnerable software.
    • Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium (MBAM) works in real-time along side your Anti-Virus to prevent malware execution.
    • NoScript is a Firefox add-on that blocks the actions of malicious scripts by using whitelisting and other technology.
    • Sandboxie isolates programmes of your choice, preventing files from being written to your HDD unless approved by you.
    • Secunia PSI will scan your computer for vulnerable softwarethat is outdated, and automatically find the latest update for you.
    • SpywareBlaster is a form of passive protection, designed to block the actions of malicious websites and tracking cookies.
    • Unchecky automatically removes checkmarks for bunlded software in programme installers; helping you avoid adware and PUPs.

For those interested in how to make a backup of your computer
    https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topi...ckup-software/

Need a second opinion on a file or website? Scan the file/URL before clicking by using one of the following free online scanner services.
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Sounds good! Thank you for the help. I try to teach her to not click on anything unless she is absolutely sure it is safe. She is pretty good and notified me as soon as she saw that warning, but I agree, the more you use, explore, game, etc can increase the chances. Here is the log report for the cleanup:

# Run at 2/7/2021 10:33:29 PM
    # KpRm (Kernel-panik) version 2.8
    # Website https://kernel-panik.me/tool/kprm/
    # Run by audre from C:\Users\audre\Desktop
    # Computer Name: DESKTOP-F6KEIFL
    # OS: Windows 10 X64 (19042)
    # Number of passes: 1

- Checked options -

~ Delete Tools
    ~ Delete Quarantines

- Delete Tools -

## AdwCleaner
    [OK] C:\Users\audre\Desktop\adwcleaner_8.0.9.1.exe deleted
    [OK] C:\Users\audre\Downloads\adwcleaner_8.0.9.1.exe deleted
    [OK] C:\AdwCleaner deleted

## AswMBR
    [OK] C:\Users\audre\Downloads\aswMBR.exe deleted

## ESET Online Scanner
    [OK] C:\Users\audre\Desktop\ESET Online Scanner.lnk deleted
    [OK] C:\Users\audre\Desktop\esetonlinescanner.exe deleted
    [OK] C:\Users\audre\Downloads\esetonlinescanner.exe deleted
    [OK] C:\Users\audre\AppData\Local\ESET\ESETOnlineScanner deleted

## FRST
    [OK] C:\Users\audre\Desktop\Addition.txt deleted
    [OK] C:\Users\audre\Desktop\Fixlog.txt deleted
    [OK] C:\Users\audre\Desktop\FRST-OlderVersion deleted
    [OK] C:\Users\audre\Desktop\FRST.txt deleted
    [OK] C:\Users\audre\Desktop\FRST64.exe deleted
    [OK] C:\Users\audre\Downloads\FRST64.exe deleted
    [OK] C:\FRST deleted

-- KPRM finished in 2.59s --

Your good to go, safe surfing.
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Glad we could help.
    Since this issue appears resolved ... this Topic is closed.