Thread: Computer almost wiped clean since installing Windows Update 20H2

Default Computer almost wiped clean since installing Windows Update 20H2

Hello, did I accidentally download some virus or malware? I have been prompted to download and install the new version update of Windows 10 20H2, which came out in October 2020. I finally decided to go ahead. Big mistake. It took a while and when the welcome screen finally came on, it said I was not an authorized user! So I restarted and when it finally loaded to my desktop everything was gone!!!! My desktop was completely generic, 90% of my desktop icons were gone. All my settings were wrong. And the worst part was NONE of my files were on the C:drive. Everything was gone. No pictures, no home videos, all my files were gone. It was like I just purchased a brand new computer. Thankfully I went to Windows Update and found the Restore option and restored it to previous Windows version and it's all perfect and back to normal again. I've paused all Windows Updates for a few weeks but I'm worried when that time is up, it will automatically download this Windows 20H2 version again and all will be lost again. Did I do something wrong? Can't find anything about this happening to anyone else online. Thank you.

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gigglepot View Post
    Hello, did I accidentally download some virus or malware? I have been prompted to download and install the new version update of Windows 10 20H2, which came out in October 2020. I finally decided to go ahead. Big mistake. It took a while and when the welcome screen finally came on, it said I was not an authorized user! So I restarted and when it finally loaded to my desktop everything was gone!!!! My desktop was completely generic, 90% of my desktop icons were gone. All my settings were wrong. And the worst part was NONE of my files were on the C:drive. Everything was gone. No pictures, no home videos, all my files were gone. It was like I just purchased a brand new computer. Thankfully I went to Windows Update and found the Restore option and restored it to previous Windows version and it's all perfect and back to normal again. I've paused all Windows Updates for a few weeks but I'm worried when that time is up, it will automatically download this Windows 20H2 version again and all will be lost again. Did I do something wrong? Can't find anything about this happening to anyone else online. Thank you.
    Hi
    Everything your posting about is more then I have knowledge of, I'm sorry I can't work or know about windows system internals but, I can offer you some guidance.
    I am also a member of a tech web site who might be able to help with all your questions.

Sysnative Forums
    https://www.sysnative.com/forums/forums/windows-10.148/

Here you would need to register and become a member like here, then create a new topic.
    If you like you can copy and paste the link from here if you don't want to re-type everything.
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Thank you for your reply. I will post my issue to the other forum you mentioned :o)

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

Glad we could help.
    Since this issue appears resolved ... this Topic is closed.
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.