Thread: inquiry: "Virus Total"... legit or scam?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default inquiry: "Virus Total"... legit or scam?

Hi there.

So this is probably going to be a long one. Sorry. (Not entirely sure it goes in this forum, but it my best guess.)

Anyone here familiar with the Segurazo malware?
    I'd like to know how much systems it can invade and affect. I understand it can even act as a rootkit and infect the system's key registry files.
    Basically, my question is: can it survive a full laptop reformat and Windows reinstallation??
    If so, what signs should I pay attention to, and what measures can I take?
    Also, if it can infect the wifi modem, and other devices through it.
    And, just in case, if there's any extra measures I can apply to attempting to recover backup files I made on pendrives and online cloud backup. (Aside from personalized scans with Spybot while in Windows safe mode, of course.)

I recently found it on my laptop, through Spybot S&D Pro detected the "Gen:Variant.Application.Segurazo.1" in quarantine. I assume it was undetected in my laptop for several days at least. I also found a strange user on my laptop's users (found it through folder, properties, security). By then, blocked. But by then, damage done. Finally decided to reformat and reinstall the whole system. And did a safe-mode Eset online live scan, with no threats detected. No new strange issues until now, but haven't really risked much online activity yet either.

Any advice will be very appreciated.
    Last edited by tashi; 2021-07-15 at 07:17. Reason: Moved from the RootAlyzer sub-forum and merged