Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie -- first time malware detection question

Default Microsoft Safety Scanner Results

Interesting...as it was scanning the computer, I could see that "9 files were infected". However, the results said that there were no threats of any kind. So it could be what you had said before: bloatware, or manufacturer-installed bundleware, etc., that was detected but then later deemed by the scanner to be harmless.

Looking good! Now I'll run Emsisoft once more and be done.

SH

Default Last Emsisoft Scan

Quote Originally Posted by smhoffman2014 View Post
    Interesting...as it was scanning the computer, I could see that "9 files were infected". However, the results said that there were no threats of any kind. So it could be what you had said before: bloatware, or manufacturer-installed bundleware, etc., that was detected but then later deemed by the scanner to be harmless.

Looking good! Now I'll run Emsisoft once more and be done.

SH
    It's clean! Looking good.

Thank you again, Juliet!

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

Use this tool to remove quarantined items:

Please download KpRm by Kernel-panik and save to your Desktop.
    • Click on KpRm.exe to run the tool.

Vista/Windows 7/8/10 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
    • Put a check mark next to these items:

- Delete tools
      - Delete now
    • Click the "Run" button.
    • When the tool has finished, it will create and open a log report and delete itself.

Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Default Kernel panik

Quote Originally Posted by Juliet View Post
    Use this tool to remove quarantined items:

Please download KpRm by Kernel-panik and save to your Desktop.
    • Click on KpRm.exe to run the tool.

Vista/Windows 7/8/10 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
    • Put a check mark next to these items:

- Delete tools
      - Delete now
    • Click the "Run" button.
    • When the tool has finished, it will create and open a log report and delete itself.

Hi Juliet, I keep reading about Kaspersky, and potential problems with Russian hacking. This makes me leery of using Kernel panik, which looks to be made by Kaspersky. Do you have any insights on this? thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by smhoffman2014 View Post
    Hi Juliet, I keep reading about Kaspersky, and potential problems with Russian hacking. This makes me leery of using Kernel panik, which looks to be made by Kaspersky. Do you have any insights on this? thank you.
    Listed in my post #23, good tips to help in staying safe.

The best tool to computer safety sits behind the keyboard. Knowledge and computer education should be a requirement to buying or using a computer and actually now a cell phone.
    It's true, these are trying times and it might get worse before it gets better.

When it comes to decisions on using different brands of antivirus software, I've got to leave that to the individual. If/when I make comments on different ones it looks as if I'm plugging or campaigning for one or another, I don't want to be called out on that subject of which a law suit can occur and has.
    Research your choice, make many attempts to find out as much as you can.

Some people prefer free versions over paid for security, I think as long as I've been on a computer that has been the world wide question.
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Default Following up

Quote Originally Posted by Juliet View Post
    Listed in my post #23, good tips to help in staying safe.

The best tool to computer safety sits behind the keyboard. Knowledge and computer education should be a requirement to buying or using a computer and actually now a cell phone.
    It's true, these are trying times and it might get worse before it gets better.

When it comes to decisions on using different brands of antivirus software, I've got to leave that to the individual. If/when I make comments on different ones it looks as if I'm plugging or campaigning for one or another, I don't want to be called out on that subject of which a law suit can occur and has.
    Research your choice, make many attempts to find out as much as you can.

Some people prefer free versions over paid for security, I think as long as I've been on a computer that has been the world wide question.

All good to know. Thanks again! I'm going to refrain from using Kaspersky's tools for now, but I think I'm malware/virus/spyware free.... if there's something similar to Kernel-panik that I can use I'd be glad to use that.

Thank you.

Are you having a specific problem with your computer that you would need help with system errors?

Glad we could help.
    Since this issue appears resolved ... this Topic is closed.