Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie -- first time malware detection question

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

Over what you posted in results of scans you posted, adware and pre-installed junk by the computer manufacturer.

Let's do an online scan and see what the results are.

Please download Emsisoft Emergency Kit and save it to your desktop.
    • Double-click on EmsisoftEmergencyKit.exe to install and create a shortcut on the desktop.
    • Leave all settings as they are and click Accept & Extract. A folder named EEK will be created in the root of the drive (usually C:\) as shown here.
    • After extraction an Emsisoft Emergency Kit window will open. Under "Run Directly:" click Emergency Kit Scanner.

• When asked to run an online update, click Yes.

• When the update is finished, click the Back to Security Status link in the left corner.
    • On the main screen click the Scan PC button.
    • Select Smart Scan, then click the Scan button.
    • When the scan is finished, click the Quarantine selected objects button. Note, this option is only available if malicious objects were detected during the scan.

• Click the View Report button and in the Reports window double-click on the most recent log. Logs are named as follows: a2scan_Date-Time.txt (YYMODY) and saved to C:\EEK\bin\Reports\.
    • Alternatively you can click Export and save the log to your Desktop, then open by double-clicking on it.
    • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Default Emsisoft Scan Report

Emsisoft Emergency Kit - Version 2022.1
    Last update: 4/12/2022 12:15:30 PM
    My own DESKTOP-VNQB6MV\Steve Hoffman
    DESKTOP-VNQB6MV
    Windows 10x64

Scan settings:

Scan type: Malware Scan
    Objects: Rootkits, Memory, Traces, Files

Detect PUPs: ON
    Scan archives: OFF
    Scan mail archives: OFF
    ADS Scan: ON
    Direct disk access: OFF

Scan start: 4/12/2022 12:16:54 PM

Scanned 83296
    Found 0

Scan end: 4/12/2022 12:18:12 PM
    Scan time: 0:01:18

Default Install Emsoft Cleaner?

Hi Juliet,

At the end of the Emsisoft scan, it prompted me to install something -- Emsisoft protection of some kind? I'm sorry I don't remember exactly. It was like "please let us protect you" from ransomware, etc., etc., etc. They've updated it all (it looked different than what you pasted in a previous message). I'd be glad to install their protector -- but will it conflict with my antivirus or firewall or anything else? I don't have malwarebytes operating continuously, just do scans. Same with spybot. It's only Avira and Windows Defender firewall that are constantly going. Oh, and I do have Spybot Immunization going, so there's that that seems to be constantly running.

Thank you!

Default emsisoft

Hi, I did a little more research. Went on the Emsisoft website. It looks like "protection" that is ongoing with them would cost $ after a 30-day trial. So it looks like their free option, like malwarebytes', is to not provide real-time protection, but rather to provide a second opinion, their 'emergency kit', for remediation. And since we have Spybot immunization running I'm guessing we have this covered. This didn't even want me to download the Emsisoft scanner, by the way. It said that bleepingcomputer's connection was not secured, and the EEK kit could be tampered with. But I took that plunge/risk. :-)

Because I see bleepingcomputer articles on hacking regularly -- they seem like a star in this field.

Thank you again!

Default clarifying

I think it was spybot immunization that wanted me to not download the EEK from bleeping computer.

But I did allow it, obviously.

S.H.

Emisoft has a trial protection option and at this time it is not necessary
    Tell me what the computer is doing now?
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Default No symptoms

Spybot Immujnization is making it harder for me to browse "freely", but this is probably a good thing. Computer has no symptoms.

I did a Spybot scan and found nothing major. Will do Malwarebytes, Avira, and MS Safety Scanner scans later today. Also Emsisoft again. To see if anything has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by smhoffman2014 View Post
    Spybot Immujnization is making it harder for me to browse "freely", but this is probably a good thing. Computer has no symptoms.

I did a Spybot scan and found nothing major. Will do Malwarebytes, Avira, and MS Safety Scanner scans later today. Also Emsisoft again. To see if anything has returned.
    Okay
    If there are no symptoms and scans are clean you should be good to go.

Default Thank you!

I really appreciate your help! I'll let you know if any scans turn up something bad. Will run all of them today, including a full Microsoft Safety Scanner.

Thank you!!

Your welcome