Thread: Warning Message when trying to scan or immunize

Default Warning Message when trying to scan or immunize

Hello,

After updating Spybot, I tried to run a scan. When I clicked scan system, I received a warning message. The message said “The file you are trying to start has not been signed as authentic by Safer-Networking Ltd., the authors of Spybot - Search & Destroy. Are you sure you want to run it?”.

This message will pop up if I click on Scan system, immunization or file scan. I was just wondering why is this message popping up and if Spybot is still okay to use, in spite of the error message.

I’m using Spybot free edition, version 2.7.

Thank you for your time and help.

Another spybot user said the same thing was happening when they try to open quarantine the other day, and m/f answered them here:
    https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...l=1#post486793

You can view the full thread here.
    https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...n-Notification

Wow, can’t believe I didn’t see that thread, I literally searched for hours to see if anyone else had the same issue. I will try to reinstall and see if that makes the problem go away.

Thank you for the response.

So I updated and reinstalled the newest version of Spybot 2.9. This got rid of the authentication issue that was the reason this thread was started.

However after installation, Windows defender was turned off. How do I turn windows defender back on?

I’ve spent hours going through threads and guides and none of them have worked. When I try to turn off system security services, I click the box and then it reclicks itself. I’m also unable to click stop or uninstall. I have advanced user mode clicked and am running Spybot as the administrator.

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thank you.

I should also mention that I also upgraded my windows 10 home to pro right after reinstalling Spybot. I’m not sure if this would affect what is happening with Spybot and windows defender, but I just thought this wouldn’t hurt to be noted.

Thanks again

Update

After tinkering with setting and the like, I found a solution for using both Spybot and windows defender together. After disabling scanner services, which is in the systems services tab of Spybot, I was able to reactivate windows defender and use Spybot at the same time.

Sorry for the multiple posts, just wanted to keep this updated and open for others who might have the same issues.

Also, if anyone knows any better, is disabling scanner services in any way a bad thing. And why am I still not able to disable security center services. Like I mentioned before, when I try to stop or uninstall it, it doesn’t do anything. And, if I click the box for ‘active after every reboot’, it just reclicks itself. Any information on this would be appreciated.

Thank you all for the help and I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Thank you for the response.
    You're welcome. And my apologies, I meant to look in on this thread but I got busy this weekend and I forgot.

The scanner service description says that it's the System service for scanning single files on access or custom demand. I've always thought that must be related to the file scan somehow, though I'm not 100% certain on that. I do keep my own Scanner Service uninstalled and have never had any problems. I did just check by rightclicking a single file and scanning it, and was able to.
    You could ask for further info about the scanner service from Team Spybot if you like, just to double check that there's no problems not having it enabled/or installed. It's one of those things I keep meaning to chase down for info, and I keep putting it on the to-do list.
    (And embarrassingly sometimes I look something up and realize I'd also looked it up sometime before and forgot the info.)
    https://www.safer-networking.org/support/#contactform

As for not being able to disable security center service, please see drghughes thread about that here:
    https://forums.spybot.info/showthrea...re-integration

Thanks for the response and for that link to that thread. It helped clear up some confusion.

I did some more tinkering with the program and everything looks good now. All the antivirus programs are running well with each other again.

Thanks for the help.

You're welcome. I'm glad you were able to get the programs running well together again.