Thread: Spybot Anti-Beacon 3.9

Default Spybot Anti-Beacon 3.9

Spybot Anti-Beacon 3.9 was released just a month ago, but Mozilla Firefox Telemetry settings seems to be from 2018 when this protection has been initially added.

I checked the description of the "Mozilla Firefox Telemetry (via Configuration)" immunzer: Customize -> Browser -> Mozilla Firefox Telemetry (via Configuration) -> Entry Information for the technically inclined user. It appears that 7 out of 28 entries listed don't exist in the latest version of Mozilla Firefox when you type about:config. Is that ok?

Hello Delrey,

Thank you for posting. I have given a heads up to the team.

Best regards,

tashi
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Hello Delrey,

Are you using a licensed edition? Please provide screenshots of the missing entries and send your debuglog.

The debug information can be accessed by turning on the “Show Debug Information” in Anti-Beacon’s Settings then clicking on “Debug Log” in the main window.

Thank you.

tashi
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Please provide screenshots of the missing entries and send your debuglog.
    Please check my post above.

Launch Spybot Anti-Beacon 3.9 and find the description of the "Mozilla Firefox Telemetry (via Configuration)" immunzer. Just press the "Customize" button in the main window, then scroll down to the Browser section, click on Mozilla Firefox Telemetry (via Configuration) and check the "Entry Information for the technically inclined user". There are 28 parameters, which can be found in Mozilla Firefox by typing about:config in the URL field.

I have the latest version of Mozilla Firefox installed. I checked all 28 entries manually and found out that 7 of them do not currently exist in the about:config list. At least some of them existed in earlier versions of Firefox, but it's definitely not the case now.

I'm sorry for the confusion.

Your initial post sounded to me like all entries were 2018, but most have just been added.

Indeed not all entries might affect each Firefox version. Since the profile cannot easily and safely be linked to a specific version, we always immunize all.

Some are also "flexible" - think about browser.safebrwosing.provider.*.gethashURL and .updateURL for example. They're only existing after SafeBrowsing has been used in our test case.

If you've got both BrowsAlyzer and Anti-Beacon installed, BrowsAlyzer will match entries in the various Mozilla config files to Anti-Beacons database in a simply overview. But that does of course not include what Firefox shows as undefined with default.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Some are also "flexible" - think about browser.safebrwosing.provider.*.gethashURL and .updateURL for example. They're only existing after SafeBrowsing has been used in our test case.
    I understand, but these entries are from different Anti-Beacon section (Mozilla Firefox Safe Browsing). I was talking about the only particular section called "Mozilla Firefox Telemetry (via Configuration)". It contains a total of 28 entries, none of which can be called "flexible" in any way. Seven of them do not exist in the latest version of Firefox, thus can't be modified at all:

Mozilla Config: toolkit.telemetry.rejected
    Mozilla Config: toolkit.telemetry.unifiedIsOptIn
    Mozilla Config: toolkit.telemetry.hybridContent.enabled
    Mozilla Config: datareporting.healthreport.service.enabled
    Mozilla Config: toolkit.telemetry.prompted
    Mozilla Config: toolkit.coverage.opt-out
    Mozilla Config: toolkit.telemetry.coverage.opt-out

That's why it looked like that part of your list is from 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Indeed not all entries might affect each Firefox version. Since the profile cannot easily and safely be linked to a specific version, we always immunize all.
    If you want to immunize all versions of Firefox, even very old ones, this makes sense.

I don't have BrowsAlyzer installed, because it's marked as pre-release. I wanted to wait for some stable release version to try it.