Thread: Shortcut Won't Die

Default Shortcut Won't Die

I had a shortcut on my desktop and had it open Spybot Start Center with a shortcut (Ctrl + Shift + C).
    Shortcut.jpg
    Shortcut Properties.jpg
    This shortcut is conflicting with another one so I decided to change the shortcut. But I can't find where it s. The shortcut file on the desktop didn't have it. And is now deleted.
    I've tried making a new shortcut file with a new shortcut to open it (Ctrl + Shift L or something) but that didn't do anything.
    I've removed every possible shortcut for Spybot Welcome Center, replacing them etc., even in the start menu and taskbar.
    Followed Microsoft forum answer to delete out temp folders etc.

I finally just now got it to not open Spybot when pushing Ctrl + Shift C, but it's STILL stopping the other shortcut from working. Unbelievable.

I'm not really familiar with custom keyboard shortcuts, as I've never used them. I did find a thread on a forum that said to reboot your computer and the changes should "stick". I have no idea if that works, but it's available here. It's for windows 7 but should apply to later versions of windows as well:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-67898969bb8c
    So on the off chance you haven't logged off or rebooted since changing the custom keyboard shortcuts for your shortcuts, give it a try and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    I'm not really familiar with custom keyboard shortcuts, as I've never used them. I did find a thread on a forum that said to reboot your computer and the changes should "stick". I have no idea if that works, but it's available here. It's for windows 7 but should apply to later versions of windows as well:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-67898969bb8c
    So on the off chance you haven't logged off or rebooted since changing the custom keyboard shortcuts for your shortcuts, give it a try and see how it goes.
    Thanks, but I was having a lot more problems than that.
    - Can't open programs unless 'run as administrator'
    - Program icons disappearing
    - Overwriting files issues
    - Windows Store not working, or can't login

Turns out you're not supposed to use Ccleaner's registry tool to indiscriminately sweep the registry. I didn't know that. Have reinstalled Windows 10 twice before I picked up on the offender.
    But now I'm not trusting Spybot's scan results either.

Sorry to hear you've been having such problems. Hope it's all settled since you've reinstalled Windows 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Sorry to hear you've been having such problems. Hope it's all settled since you've reinstalled Windows 10.
    Thank you.

Well, reinstalling windows with the media installation disk doesn't fix the broken shortcuts. I'm having to reinstall all programs that are affected. It's somewhat coming back to normal.
    The Windows Store was still broken; I had to install the new package thing with command prompt.

I just did a security permissions procedure that granted me full administrator control over my files on my entire disk. That should help.

I'm having a corrupted recycle bin problem too. Just started using Directory Opus 12; that might be involved, don't know. Did the command prompt scannow and it found and fixed corruptions but the problem persists.
    I'm seriously distrusting Spybot's scans. I got more user accounts than there should be, me being the only person using this computer. Having to fix all these problems is using way too much of my personal time.

That's a lot going on to fix all at once. I'm not familiar with the Directory Opus 12 program myself or what it does, so please use caution if you follow these as I'm not sure how that would affect following tutorials, if at all but I did find a few things about corrupted recycle bins. There was a problem posted about on Microsoft forums in 2018:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-39b44e542796
    There were a couple tutorials posted there. One on tenforums:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...n-windows.html
    One on Windows Club:
    https://www.thewindowsclub.com/recyc...rupted-windows

Spybot's scans shouldn't affect anything much since it just scans for malware type things or usage tracks, unless there is a false positive but that is rare. Where are you seeing the different user accounts? Don't post names ,of course, but a general description would be good.