Thread: MC Security Centre probs?

Question MC Security Centre probs?

My last scan produced the following red entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SecurityCenter\AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0

At the same time, NAV reports 'Auto Protect off' (& it does not respond to being turned on) BUT, ZA Pro which monitors NAV says everything's fine!! I've been getting the Security Centre 'red shield' telling me that NAV is not running too!!

Non-tech words of wisdom please,
    Guitarelf.
    "You could write all I know about computers on the back of a pixel & still have room for the Photoshop tutorial!"

Hello,

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 has been detecting Security Risks (renamed to "Windows Security Center" on July 30) associated with Microsoft Security Center Registry changes. This is neither a false positive nor a bug. It is just an information.
    Spybot-S&D only wants to bring to your attention that "someone" disabled one or more notifications in the Windows Security Center, e.g. the notifications that your virus protection is not active or not up-to-date. If you changed the settings yourself you can safely tell Spybot-S&D to exclude those detections from further scans.
    In order to do so please right-click each in turn, then click "exclude this detection from future scans". That way, should any other part of security center settings change, Spybot-S&D will still detect those.
    The same is true if you have another security solution installed (like McAfee Security Center or Norton Internet Security). These programs do also disable the Windows Security Center in order to take care of things themselves.
    The reason why the changes are flagged by Spybot-S&D is that there are also malware programs that disable the notifications so the user doesn't take note of his security tools not being effective.

Some more information is also available in our forum:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=87

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thumbs up

Thank you very much indeed spybotsandra, for the comprehensive & easy to understand response.
    Guitarelf.
    "You could write all I know about computers on the back of a pixel & still have room for the Photoshop tutorial!"