Thread: Update issue - site blocked?

Default Update issue - site blocked?

I've got a pc on a peer to peer network sitting behind a cable modem/router. When I updated my spybot from 1.3 to 1.4 I found I could no longer get online updates. After lots of troubleshooting I've found that my machine can't access the www.safer-networking.org domain. I've got ZA pro installed and have checked to make sure it isn't blocking me. The restricted sites in IE don't show it. (unless it is blocked by ip only?) All the other machines on the network see the site.

Any thoughts?
    Chaos reigns within.
    Reflect, repent, and reboot.
    Order shall return.

Two other pieces of relevant info:

"Socket Error 10061 Connection Refused" is displayed when I try and update (no servers are listed)

I'm running Windows 2K will all patches and updates.
    Chaos reigns within.
    Reflect, repent, and reboot.
    Order shall return.

Hello,

Please take a look at your security settings of your firewall (if you are using one) and make sure that Spybot-S&D is not blocked. That should help to get into the updates. If Spybot-S&D is not blocked it is also possible that our server is temporarily not available. Please try it again a few hours later.

If this does not help please download the updates manually:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    Here is the direct download link:
    http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates...d_includes.exe
    Just download and run that file - it is selfinstalling.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I my experience, Spybot will normally get a Socket Error # 11004 when it is being blocked by ZoneAlarm, but double check the settings anyway.

Socket Error # 10061, on the other hand, has been reported by people after upgrading from Spybot 1.3 to Spybot 1.4 because they were sitting behind proxy servers and failed to setup Spybot’s proxy settings. If you sitting behind a proxy server:
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings. About 2/3 of the way down the option tree there is a category "Web update". Check the last item in the list "Use proxy to connect to update server". A pop-up will come up were you can enter the information required.

If you are sitting behind a proxy server and need to know what the settings shoul be, there are hints in the following article on how to find them:

If you are able to correct the problem, please let us know what you found.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2005-12-06 at 22:28.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.