Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error returning update info file

Question Error returning update info file

I have used Spy bot for a long time so having just upgraded my computer I downloaded SpyBot 1.4. When I tried to download the updates after installing I got the following error message:
    "Error retreiving update file info.
    Socket error
    Host not found."

I tried uninstalling then downloading from another site but got the same message.
    Please help
    Regards
    don

Hello,

Please take a look at your security settings of your firewall (if you are using one) and make sure that Spybot-S&D is not blocked. That should help to get into the updates. If Spybot-S&D is not blocked it is also possible that our server is temporarily not available. Please try it again a few hours later.

If this does not help please download the updates manually:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    Here is the direct download link:
    http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates...d_includes.exe
    Just download and run that file - it is selfinstalling.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Update Server

Can you tell me which server the updates are taken off? I'm able to ping both of the servers above.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

The initial download that starts the update process is:

After that, the downloads of the actual update files themselves come from different servers that are selectable.

If you have a firewall, being able to ping the site does not necessarily mean that you can download from the site since in most firewalls you must authorize a particular program to access the internet.

You must authorize SpybotSD.exe to use the internet in order to use Spybot's integrated update facility.

Do you access the internet through a proxy server?
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-05-04 at 15:57.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Still Failure to update

Hello,

I do access through a proxy but if I disable this I get a different error 10060.

Also I can access that URL fine.

You mention:
    You must authorize SpybotSD.exe to use the internet in order to use Spybot's integrated update facility.
    How do I do this?

Default Ethereal Trace available

Sorry I meant to say I can attach an Ethereal trace as well if that is permitted or I can email it.

If you are sitting behind a proxy server:
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings. About 2/3 of the way down the option tree there is a category "Web update". Check the last item in the list "Use proxy to connect to update server". A pop-up will come up were you can enter the information required.

If you are sitting behind a proxy server and need to know what the settings should be, there are hints in the following article on how to find them:

What firewall do you have?
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-05-04 at 16:40.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I already had these settings.

I won't be able to find out the type of firewall as it's a huge organisation with this equipment based in another country.

Folks, any other suggestions?

donelst:

Are you still there and is your problem resolved?

Daithi_dearg:

Are you aware that corporate users of Spybot S&D should be using the Spybot S&D Intranet Server for updating?

Since you evidently can not update using Spybot's integrated update facility from within your environment, follow the advice provided by spybotsandra in Post #2 of this thread and update manually.

Go to:
    • Then download and execute the following item:
      Detection updates 2006-05-02 - product description
      md5: 473CFB8A8923FD9DE9F0144A316B317C

This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.

In addition the advcheck.dll was updated recently. Therefore you should also go to:
    • Then download and execute the following item:
      Advanced check library update 2006-03-31 - product description
      md5: 73047D64714ECB9BD4A023E3A6EF4354

This is an update for a detection library. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.

Default Problems with advcheck.dll

I was able to get the first update but I was unable to get the update for advcheck.dll. The error I get is:

Error Opening File for writing:

C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\advcheck.dll

Click Abort to stop the installation,
    Retry to try again or
    Ignore to skip this file

I press ctrl+alt+del to see the running processes and I can't see spybot running and I also stopped teatimer before I tried the install.

Any ideas?

Also I ran the Update.exe file and it says no updates are available. Does this mean I am accessing the server?

Thanks for all your efforts.