Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SDhelper.dll Causing IE 7 Final to Crash!

Esteemed Member

I had it occasionally with IE 7 betas and RC1, but not (yet) with IE7 final.

With the betas and RC1, it seemed random (occurred only about 4 times over a period of weeks using IE 7 daily), could not associate it with number of tabs.

Dell Dimension 8300 P4 3.0GHz (hyperthreading on), 1GB RAM, XP SP2 all updates
    Last edited by Rosenfeld; 2006-11-07 at 03:51.

Default sdhelper causes ie7 to crash.

Hello,

I am a service manager at a little computer shop in Pa. I have seen this issue on about 80% of the pc's we install IE7 on that are running Spybot. Our fix as stated before is to uncheck the sdhelper box. This is fine for a short term fix, but I hope this issue can be resolved. All pc's of course are various speeds some XP Pro some Xp Home SP2 and different sizes of ram. I have found no common piece between them except for the obvious.(IE7 & Spybot) IE7 is the final release.

Jeff
    Last edited by jchopick; 2006-11-17 at 17:29.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

jchopick:

It seems odd to me that you are having a 80% failure rate with the SDHelper Browser Helper Object (BHO) after installing Internet Explorer 7.0 since overall there have been relatively few reports of the problem.

I personally have not experienced any problem with Internet Explorer 7.0 while running Spybot's SDHelper Browser Helper Object (BHO). I have run multiple IE 7 windows with multiple tabs open each without a problem.

Although possible, I would tend to doubt that the problem is related to physical characteristics of the system. I would lean more toward some sort of logical problem involving a combination of software or settings.

In that vain I offer the follow for comparison:

My Internet Explorer 7.0 was downloaded and installed via Windows update on a fully updated Window XP Home system with updates up to and including the updates from Microsoft's Tuesday, October 10, 2006 update release:

When my Internet Explorer 7.0 was installed, I had all Windows updates up to and including:
    • Security Update for Windows XP (KB923191)
    • Security Update for Windows XP (KB924496)
    • Security Update for Windows XP (KB923414)
    • Security Update for Windows XP (KB922819)
    • Security Update for Windows XP (KB924191)

Since installing Internet Explorer 7.0, I received and installed the following updates on Tuesday, November 14, 2006:

• Security Update for Windows XP (KB920213)
      Security Update for Windows XP (KB923980)
      Security Update for Windows XP (KB924270)

From Internet Explorer > Help > About Internet Explorer

Code:
    Internet Explorer
    Version: 7.0.5730.11
    Cipher Strength: 128-bit
    Product ID: 84876-600-0011903-00102
    Update Versions:0
    My SDHelper.dll is from the original Spybot-S&D 1.4 installation program downloaded 2005/06/01 when Spybot-S&D 1.4 was first introduced. My Spybot-S&D 1.4 was last uninstalled and reinstalled 2006-01-16.

From Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools >BHOs:

Code:
    {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} ()
    BHO name:
    CLSID name:
    description: Spybot-S&D IE Browser plugin
    classification: Legitimate
    known filename: SDhelper.dll
    info link: http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    info source: Patrick M. Kolla
    Path: C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\
    Long name:       SDHelper.dll
    Short name:
    Date (created): 1/16/2006 12:47:42 PM
    Date (last access): 11/17/2006 11:44:34 AM
    Date (last write): 5/31/2005 1:04:00 AM
    Filesize:             853672
    Attributes:           archive
    MD5: 250D787A5712D7768DDC133B3E477759
    CRC32:           D4589A41
    Version:            1.4.0.0
    If everything above seems the same, it does not eliminate the possibility that a particular security setting (or the lack of) within Internet Explorer 7.0 could be causing the problem.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Hello,

Just today I rebuilt a dell pc and with a clean install and all the updates from Microsoft after a fresh sp2 install. I installed Spybot before any other software did all Spybot updates, then closed Spybot and opened IE7 went to google.com and then closed IE and bam there it was same error.

Here is the message from the windows event viewer.

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.5730.11, faulting module sdhelper.dll, version 1.4.0.0, fault address 0x00016ab4.

IE7 was downloaded today fresh from microsoft posted on there website 11/14/06
    The Spybot install was downloaded today.

Both the most current installs.

Please don't turn this into a pissing match just research the issue. Unfortnately I did not write the software so I can't fix it. There is enough evidence on the web that this is a true problem. Just ignoring it doesn't solve a thing. take more than a few attempts to make it happen. I can get it to fail on a regular basis and so should you. I never take the time to post anything is forums. I have a busy schedule all week. If this issue wasn't real I wouldn't be here posting in this forum.

Jeff

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jchopick View Post
    IE7 was downloaded today fresh from microsoft posted on there website 11/14/06
    There is one difference. My download/install was via Windows update not a direct download.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    There is one difference. My download/install was via Windows update not a direct download.
    This last time was was a manual download but I have used the windows udpates before and experienced the issue. I will try again, but I have been there before. I will give it another shot.

Jeff

From the day I installed IE7 I starting receiving the error pointing to sdhelper.

But more often I got the infamous error that some memory location could not be read. The message always had ie7 in the caption bar.

Disabling sdhelper from within Spybot cured both problems. No errors for 3 days since I disabled sdhelper.

Quote Originally Posted by noel-pr7 View Post
    How fast were your XP SP2 PCs, tashi?

we may also have to ask gate1975mlm how fast his XP computer is [aka. CPU type & speed and how much RAM is installed]

I'll see if I can test out Spybot 1.4 with IE7 on my XP SP2 home PC which is a custom-made computer 1.2Ghz Pentium 3 with 384 MB of RAM, 40Gb HD
    My specs are Intel Core 2 Duo 6400,2GB of Ram,300GB Hard Drive, Windows XP Home SP2, IE7 Final.

And I am still getting the error. The only fix is to disable SDhelper.dll
    Last edited by gate1975mlm; 2006-11-21 at 05:26.

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hi there

I will bring to the Teams' attention.
    Hi any update on when this will be fixed?

Esteemed Member

For something to be fixed it must first be determined what's wrong, which hasn't been done yet in this case.

From what little information is available thus far, I'd guess we are seeing another HyperThreading issue, though it could also be some other hardware related problem. The [small] number of complaints and fact that it's not constant or consistent point to hardware [system specific] interaction and those with the problem seem to have either HTT or Core 2 Duo processors. Since Jeff is likely delivering newer systems his hit rate of 80% might make sense, since they might commonly support these abilities or at least faster processors than what those without the problem have.

The problem in this case is that SDHelper.dll is a BHO and runs in the context of Internet Explorer, so it's not as simple to confirm as with the stand alone SpybotSD.exe process. Just as in this earlier case it will have to be bugged out on the systems of those with the problem, since it can't be easily reproduced elsewhere.

If you can determine anything else specific about the reason it occurs it might be helpful. Right now you have already defined the only known workaround, disabling the SDHelper.dll by unchecking it.

Bitman