Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Immunize hangs

Default Immunize hangs

I have 2 PCs, use Firefox 1.5.0.7 on both. Also use McAfee latest full security version on both, which has virus protection, firewall, privacy and other security programs.
    Computer 1 is wired to a router. Computer 2 connects wirelessly to the home network. The connection is very strong. Computer 1 is 226 MHz and Computer 2 a little faster. I have DSL, 300 Mbps.
    Latest version of Spybot S&D on both computers. No problems at all on Computer 1.
    But on Computer 2, when I update and click on Immunize, and then go to the next screen which tells me more immunizations are available, please immunize, and I click Immunize at the top of the screen, nothing happens. Spybot just hangs indefinitely. It is extremely difficult to shut down the computer, taking dozens (literally) of attempts using Task Manager. CPU usage is 100%.
    Both Spybot and Teatimer are active, since I use Firefox.
    Can some one tell me what is happening and what I should do about it? If I must uninstall Spybot, please so advise, giving me instructions about all registry changes I need to make. But I really want Spybot to work.

Hello,

We are sorry, but the immunisation is not working for Firefox.

It is only for the Internet Explorer.

Maybe in one of the coming versions there will be a bad download blocker for Firefox, but not at the moment.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Immunize Hangs

Thank you for your reply, Sandra.

But it is very strange that the problem with Immunize only occurs in Computer 2. There has never been a problem with Computer 1.

I have the same problem on a windows xp home edition machine running IE. I only noticed this after upgrading McAfee's security center.

After clicking Immunize I get a window stating 13344 bad products already blocked, 94 additional protections possible.

When I click Immunize, Spybot locks up and the CPU usage goes to 100%.

Task Manager shows Spybot as 'not responding'
    Last edited by crandad; 2006-11-04 at 19:19.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

crandad:

Quote Originally Posted by crandad View Post
    When I click Immunize, Spybot locks up and the CPU usage goes to 100%.
    Go into the Windows Task Manager > Processes tab > locate and highlight mcsysmon.exe and do an "End Task".

I think that you will find that mcsysmon.exe is running at an extremely high rate of CPU utilization.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks MD...checked Task Manager while spybot was locked up...sysmon was showing 30-35 cpu usage but I noticed that a process called HWAPI.exe was showing 60.

The warning window that pops up when you go to end a running process makes me a bit leery.

crandad:

I have to do an "End Process" on mcsysmon.exe just to get on to AOL but it starts back up so it interferes with other things until I do a "End Process" on it a second time.

The process mcsysmon.exe takes up about 11% of my 2.4 GHz system while I'm hardly doing anything let alone if I try establish an AOL session or immunize.

Do a Google search for mcsysmon.exe and you will find many reports of problems.

McAfee says in the following:

Spybot Search & Destroy has an Immunize feature which is causing McAfee SystemGuards to be consistently bombarded with changes, based on the system settings that are enabled.
    Don't bother to consider fixing your defective code. Just blame it on someone else because they are bombarding the system with changes. By the way, their stated solution does not cover manual immunization.

Your choice as to what to do.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-11-04 at 22:15.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thumbs up

chose "end process" for mcsysmon.exe and now 'all known bad products are blocked'

Thanks again MD USA...

crandad:

Alternative to doing an "End Process" on mcsysmon.exe:
    • Go into Spybot > Immunize.
    • Go into McAfee SecurityCenter.
    • In McAfee SecurityCenter:
      • Click Computer & Files Protected (left side of right pane).
      • Click Configure (right side of the right pane - not the Configure at the bottom of the screen).
      • Click SystemGuard protection is enabled.
      • Click Off
    • In Spybot > Immunize
      • Click the button (button with large green plus sign at the top of the right pane).
    • In McAfee SecurityCenter > SystemGuard protection is enabled:
      • Click On
    • Exit Spybot
    • Exit McAfee SecurityCenter

In McAfee SecurityCenter > Computer & Files Protected > SystemGuard protection, there is an "Advanced…" button. I haven't figured out which specific McAfee SecurityCenter SystemGuard protection is causing the problem. If you figure it out let us know.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-11-04 at 23:06.

Quote Originally Posted by crandad View Post
    Thanks MD...checked Task Manager while spybot was locked up...sysmon was showing 30-35 cpu usage but I noticed that a process called HWAPI.exe was showing 60.

The warning window that pops up when you go to end a running process makes me a bit leery.
    FYI:
    HWAPI.exe is the McAfee Hackerwatch utility. It has nothing to do with SS&D.