Thread: SpyBot protection in Firefox

Question SpyBot protection in Firefox

Spybot S&D is great and I use it all the time! I just wanted to ask why I am not protected from spyware/malware when I'm using Firefox? It only works on IE. Why?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I'll assume that you are talking about Spybot's immunization facility and Spybot's "Resident SD helper".
    1. Spybot's immunization facility blocks cookies from some sites, blocks the download/execution of selected ActiveX processes and places other sites in the restricted zone.
      • The cookies that are blocked by Spybot's immunization facility are primarily third party cookies also know as "tracking" cookies. You can block third party cookies from being stored on your system from within the Firefox browser. See the following article:

Note: It appears that some third-party cookies may not be blocked in Firefox by setting the options in the referenced article. Please see the comments by Zenobia in last post of the following thread:
      • ActiveX processes can only execute under Internet Explorer and therefore are not a concern when using Firefox.
      • The restricted zone entries are only applicable to Internet Explorer. Depending on settings within Internet Explorer, placing sites in the restricted zone limits the storing of cookies and the download/execution of ActiveX processes from those sites. Since the storing of third party cookies can limited within the Firefox browser and ActiveX processes are not applicable to Firefox, the restricted zone entries that Spybot's immunization adds are not necessary when using Forefox.
    2. The primary purpose of Spybot's "Resident SD helper" (see Note) is to block third party cookies. Again, since third party cookies can be blocked from within Firefox there is no need for a similar facility for Firefox.

Note: Spybot's "Resident SD helper" is also known as "Browser Helper to block bad downloads", "Spybot's-SD Resident" and "Resident IE" (depending on which Spybot S&D panel you may be on or how it is identified in the system tray icon),

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thank you for your quck response.Keep up the good work guys!