Thread: Can I disable Spybot

Angry Can I disable Spybot

I downloaded Spybot last week and installed it. I installed a new hard drive and now re-installing my software. Spybot has been installed on the new drive. I had many problems installing the software cause spybot wouldn't co-operate. I uninstalled it and got all my software working. I re-installed Spybot. Now spybot won't let me update any of the programs - it denies all changes no matter what I do.
    Is there a way to set up spybot so I can run it when I want to instead of constantly fighting to get upgrades?

Lynn

Are you getting boxes on the lower-right of your screen,saying something like 'Registry change denied
    Resident denied the change of (someapphere) based on your blacklist.'?
    Or is there a box popping up in the middle of your screen,asking you to Allow or Deny something,perhaps with the Allow or Deny buttons not quite read-able.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2006-11-02 at 03:26.

Or,if you prefer to disable Teatimer instead,here is how:
    To disable Teatimer,rightclick teatimer and select exit Spybot S&D resident.Then,open Spybot,go to mode,select Advanced Mode,then Tools->resident,and then uncheck Resident "Teatimer"(Protection of over-all system settings) active.
    What is the Resident Teatimer

I get the box in the lower corner with a message about access denied. It does give a name to whatever is denied, but is so fast I can't get it. Then I get a box in the middle of the screen that looks like it may have check boxes in it, but it looks like two boxes are overlaping. Here again it gives the name of a file or program, but I have no choices. I dont have a blacklist. At this point, I can't even install some of the windows updates. This is a new version for me. I did use an earlier version and ran the program when I wanted to. This machine is not always connected to the net. I use it for video editing, and sometimes I have to connect to get material or updates, but spybot doesn't like that. Besides I need all the resourses I can get for editing.
    Tea Time isn't listed in the manual or help indes - what is it?

Lynn

PS: I just found I do have blacklist with 1172 items listed.
    Last edited by Lynn1102; 2006-11-02 at 23:22. Reason: new information found

Hello.Here's a description of what Teatimer is:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/33.html
    There's another description of it here:
    http://www.voiceofthepublic.com/SSD/...timer.swf.html
    Also,it's in the Help file under Tools,then Resident

The box you get in the middle of the screen is from Teatimer.It asks you if you would like to Allow or Deny a change.If you click the close box,it will Deny the change.So,if you're clicking the close box when the box comes up,that may be why you get that message in the lower corner of your screen.
    There is a bug with Teatimer,which is why the boxes aren't readable.
    There are fixes and workarounds for that listed in this post:http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...59&postcount=2
    There's also a sticky topic about that here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122

If the 'Remember this decision' was checkmarked in the box that comes up in the middle of the screen,you might want to check your White & Black list.
    Rightclick the Teatimer icon down by the clock,and then select Settings,which will bring up your Black & White list,click each heading at the top(Allowed Processes,Blocked Processes,Allowed Registry Changes,Blocked Registry Changes.),and if there are items in there you don't want,click the Black X to the right,then click OK.
    (When you hover the mouse over Teatimer,and it shows the 1172 items Blacklisted,this is not the same thing as the Black & White list.)

If you would prefer to disable Teatimer until you're more familiar with it,or if you'd like not to use it,here is how to disable Resident Teatimer:
    Rightclick teatimer and select exit Spybot S&D resident.Then,open Spybot,go to mode,select Advanced Mode,then Tools->resident,and then uncheck Resident "Teatimer"(Protection of over-all system settings) active.
    hth.

Default that little box on the right

this brings up a question....... when u use teatimer and the center box pops up and u say to allow or deny, that crazy little box in the lower right pops up and tells u what u just did. is there any way to stop that? its kind of annoying when u tell it to do something and it tells u what u just did

No,sorry.There's no way to stop that box from popping up in the lower-right corner,when you allow or deny something with Teatimer.

Hello,

Actually there is a way.
    The TeaTimer is making snapshot files when you start it the first time and the tool is comparing the current registry with the snapshot files.
    If you want to make a new snapshot files please shutdown the TeaTimer with the Resident icon and then start it manually from the Spybot S&D program folder.
    There is no possibility yet to hide the popups which remind you which keys are blocked. As a workaround, you can only make new snap shot files.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot