Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Firefox 2 immunization.

Default work around?

Darn. I usually bookmark when I find sites but there was one that said someone using DSL router would have to go through a lengthy work around to use the 127.0.0.1 approach. Basically, the DSL would go to another IP and avoid 127.0.0.1 There was a lengthy way to work around this but it seemed like too much bother.

Darn, I wish I could find the site now!

I'm still not sure from previous description how 127.0.0.1 protects people. Could you try to explain (again)?

FYI: I use Verizon DSL for all three of my computers (two laptops and one desktop directly connected to the router).

Default Sometimes HOSTs just doesn't work?

http://accs-net.com/hosts/faq.html#19

(6.) Why doesn't the Hosts file work with my proxy settings?

Some proxy servers can not be bypassed, unfortunately, and will not work with the Hosts file properly according to Microsoft. This is because of a bug in the programming of the way Hosts is handled by Windows. The work around for this is to add all the entries from your Hosts file into the exclusions section of your proxy settings in Internet Explorer. This would be very time consuming, and is not recommended. The other thing you can do is visit the GRC FAQ site and read the information about "nasties.reg." You can use this file to add many add servers to your Restricted Zone in IE, and if you do so you can then block cookies using the Restricted Zones settings and that will stop tracking from those servers. If you use Netscape, I don't currently have such a procedure available, because it does not use restricted zones."

I read elsewhere that WD "locks" the Hosts file. I guess I just don't understand how "hosts" works (and often doesn't, depending on configuration?). Forgive my ignorance.

Default Patience is a virtue

I'm just going to wait and see what 1.5 has in store for FF users. I haven't used IE in ages, unless a program "popped it up."

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Why can't you use hosts because of the router?
    Using the hosts file will only protect your machine, not others using the same router, but that's not a problem I think

Immunization works with Opera as well, but it's not the same as Firefox, agreed.

Spybot-S&D itself is working on Firefox and Seamonkey in terms of scanning and cleaning cookies, cache & history... but not the same way as SDHelper, that's right. Lets see what 1.5 brings
    it would be nice if there were immunization features for firefox and seamonkey browsers in the next version of spybot.

now if the makers of FF browsers improve their cookie management features (like the ones found in seamonkey browsers) I'd give firefox 5 stars. right now I give FF 4 stars.