Thread: Scan of CoolwwwSearch extremely slow

Question

Not a reply, but a very similar problem. SpyBot grinds to a halt when it reaches the CoolwwwSearch section of the scan. Virtually stops & then scans so slowly, you can see the individual numbers ticking over. A full scan yesterday took almost an hour. Does it make any difference if I scan on or off line?
    Compac Presario 2504 EU, AOL 9,Platinum 2MB, XP(HOME) sp2(all critical updates), SpyWareGuard, SpyWareBlaster, SpyCatcher Express, Ad Aware SE Personal, XoftSpy (latest version), Norton AV, ZoneAlarm Pro.

Thanks in antis,
    Guitarelf.
    Last edited by tashi; 2005-12-09 at 02:53. Reason: Split off from Tex10's topic.

Esteemed Member

Please don't hop into that other topic, I'm trying to work it separately since there are subtle differences in each freeze situation.

Would you please try a scan in Safe Mode and see how fast it goes? You could also try clearing out your temp files including the Internet Explorer Cache before scanning. Ask if you don't know how to do either of these.

Though most CoolWWWSearch hangs seem to occur due to interaction with other anti-malware apps, yours is still completing faster then most with this issue and it doesn't truly hang forever as some do.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info & advice. My apologies for hopping into the other topic..put it down to a rather overenthusiastic first post!
    Guitarelf.

Smile Scan of CoolwwwSearch extremely slow

bitman, an update. I have been evaluating SpyCatcher Express. It really did not run well on my system. Having uninstalled it, SpyBot runs much quicker & smoother. Still slows through "Cool", but nothing like before, so I think this problem is resolved. Thank you for your help & expertise,
    Season's Greetings,
    Guitarelf.

Esteemed Member

Thank you for the information. As you can see we are chasing several such issues and interaction with other anti-malware monitoring tools is one of the highly suspect causes in many of them, especially when CoolWWWSerach is involved.

This will help us be aware when future members have this issue and SpyCatcher Express is installed.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know.
    Bitman

An hour? Is that all? I have a computer that's been running it for at least 11 hours with less than 1/3 complete. It's hung up on CoolWWWSearch. I started it in safe mode and ran CWShredder, but nothing was detected. Spybot, on the other hand, is detecting it. Admittedly the machine in question is an old POS Windows Me, but still. The numbers will make tiny jumps every once in a while, so it's apparently still going.... I updated the definitions recently...

Edit: It finally made it past CoolWWWSearch (3 items: CWS, CWS.Service, and CWS.Feat2DLL) and is proceeding at a much faster, though still pretty slow, pace. 2/3 done after 13 hours.
    Last edited by Raising; 2005-12-11 at 19:06.

Smile Current scan speed

Installed the latest updates today, total scan time about 30 mins. The scan is at its slowest in the 'coolwwwsearchfeat2dll' section, although it still ticks over quite nicely, four items at a time. As the scan progresses through the 'cool' section, it gradually gets faster. Once out of 'cool', the scan resumes the sort of speed & smoothness I see at the start. Overall, much improved since my last post in December '05.
    Hope this 'non-tech' feedback is helpful,
    Nigel (guitarelf)

Presario 2504 laptop/1gb ram/XP home(sp2)
    "You could write all I know about computers on the back of a pixel & still have room for the Photoshop tutorial!"

I know post#7 is not exactly 'techspeak', but I'd be grateful if someone would let me know whether this feedback is helpful,
    Nigel (Guitarelf)
    "You could write all I know about computers on the back of a pixel & still have room for the Photoshop tutorial!"

Yes guitarelf it is helpful thank you.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Thanks tashi, much appreciated,
    Nigel (Guitarelf)