Thread: Spybot will not run,will not display and will not uninstall

Default Spybot will not run,will not display and will not uninstall

I am using windows XP. When I attempt to run spybot search and destroy, the loading screen will be displayed but only for about 2 seconds. It then will disappear. Apparently spybot does not run after it disappears. I have tried to update, uninstall and reinstall but nothing I have tried has yet worked. I also have noticed the same behavior in the Avast antivirus program. When I try to run that, it displays for about 2 seconds and then will disappear. It also does not run.

Can someone help me get my Spybot back up and running. I love the program and feel like my computer is very vulnerable without it.
    any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank yo,
    Jerry

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

In the following thread, diowrite appears to have a similar problem:

Quote Originally Posted by diowrite View Post
    I doubleclick the Spybot icon and the load bar appears for a second or two and then disappears. I never even get the OK button.
    Although a suggestion I made in that thread did not work for diowrite, I suggest that you try the following:
    • There is a variant of Coolwebsearch that closed Spybot and some other anti-spyware programs when they start. If this is the problem, there is a removal tool that may help.

Please read the following:
      http://www.safer-networking.org/en/news/2004-01-21.html
      Ugly new CoolWWWSearch variant

That article points to a page that contains a download for:
      CoolWWWSearch.SmartSearch (v1/v2) MiniRemoval

Download delcwssk.zip, unzip it, and execute miniremoval_coolwebsearch_smartkiller.exe. Then see if you can get Spybot to run.

If that does not work and since Avast antivirus is also experiencing the same problem, it may be wise to post in the Malware Removal forum and having someone take a look at your system. Follow the instructions here (without the Spybot scan):

Then post in the following forum:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.