Thread: Unable to download Updates via Software

Default Unable to download Updates via Software

First off, thanks you for a great program.

Here is the issue:
    I have one computer (laptop) that is unable to download updates.

What happeneds is:
    I select the update tab on the left, and select the get updates. According to the dialog box I get connected, however it then hangs. The Progress bar jumps to about 95% and the process starts using 98% CPU. Process completly locks and only way to exit is to kill process.

I have:

Uninstalled software, deleted all assosiated Directoried (Not Registery, as I can't find all the enteries)
    Reinstalled
    Downloaded newest updates manually and applied
    Download the updatesd.ini file from www.safer-networking.org/updates/spybotsd.ini

I am unable to:

Select a different mirror - Havn't got this far yet, I don't even download the updatesd.ini file.
    Check the log, as no actual information gets generated.

Any suggestions?

I am unable to access the laptop right away. I'm going to compile a List of things todo and try them next time I am there.

Thanks In advance.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coolacid
    Downloaded newest updates manually and applied
    Are these the updates that you downloaded?
    • Detection updates 2005-12-09 - product description
      md5: 37716E587907ADD1C25F39FC6591147E

This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.

Quote Originally Posted by coolacid
    Download the updatesd.ini file from www.safer-networking.org/updates/spybotsd.ini
    Delete this file. It is only used during the integrate update procedure and is never stored on your system.

The update process appears to work as follows:
    1. The update process downloads but doesn't permanently store the following file:
      • spybotsd.ini.
    2. The information from the spybotsd.ini file is copied to:
      • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates\online.ini
    3. Using control information from the Configuration.ini file (Note #1), the online.ini is compared to the following file to determine what updates (if any) are required (Note #2):
      • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates\downloaded.ini
    4. If it is determined that updates are required they are listed on the updates panel.

If the Update downloads.log does not show the download of the spybotsd.ini file or online.ini has not been created or the modified date time stamp on the online.ini is not changing, it would suggest that you are not connecting properly to download spybotsd.ini file. However, that would normally result in the connection attempt timing out after 15 seconds and displaying a "No newer updates available" message and or an error message.

If the modified date timestamp on the online.ini is changing, it seems that you are experiencing a problem while Spybot is attempting to determine what updates should be applied (#3 above).

I'm really any not sure what would cause this problem.
    • When you installed did you install in the default directories?
    • Do you have a Configuration.ini file in the proper location?
    • Has the C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates\online.ini been created and is the time stamp changing when you attempt to update?
    • Has the C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates\downloaded.ini been created?

Note #1: The Configuration.ini file stored in one of the following folders:
    • Windows 95 or 98:
      C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • Windows ME:
      C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
      C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy

Note #2: If this file does not exist it is created during the update process by inspecting the files in the various C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy folders.

If you want to uninstall and reinstall again just to make sure (including deleting registry entries) the instructions are here:

Official download sites for Spybot-S&D 1.4:
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2005-12-12 at 18:49.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I downloaded the spybotsd.ini file only to show I was able to connect to the server. (Ie no firewalls, DNS or other I-Net related errors). I will print and use the fully uninstall instructions later this week and see if that helps. I did go though the REG to see if there was something relating to a server it was connecting too, however it would appeare that it is hard coded.

One other question, does SBSD use IE as a backend to access HTTP? or does it use some other connection method?

Cheers,
    Jay

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I believe it is IE.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.