Thread: Immunize

Default Immunize

I have Spybot S/D on two computers.
    one computer shows 8000+ bad entries blocked and the other computer shows 1200+ entries blocked.
    ?? Is there an explanation for the difference shown for blocked bad entries between the two computers.

Regards,
    Frankie

I have the same thing.

My Windows 98SE last total this morning was 1200+ and my Windows XP indicated 12,625 a few days back.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

The immunization count varies among the various operating systems. This is because for certain types of immunization Spybot adds the same immunization entries to multiple registry hives, if those registry hives exist in the operating system.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    The immunization count varies among the various operating systems. This is because for certain types of immunization Spybot adds the same immunization entries to multiple registry hives, if those registry hives exist in the operating system.
    Hello,

I do not know what a "hive" is but thank you for the answer

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

From Microsoft's MSDN Library:
    Registry Hives
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...stry_hives.asp

A hive is a group of keys, subkeys, and values in the registry that has a set of supporting files containing backups of its data.
    The above information was found by doing a search for "registry hive" at search.microsoft.com:
    http://search.microsoft.com/search/s...t=b&View=en-us

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Esteemed Member

Simpler answer; each user account created on the PC has its own 'hive'. So the number of accounts that exists affects the total number of bad entries blocked.

Since newer versions of the Windows OS also have more dedicated 'special' accounts used for internal purposes, they begin with more bad entries blocked then older OS versions. Windows XP has 6 such special accounts so the number of protections starts out several times higher and grows as you add more accounts yourself.

md usa spybot fan is beginning to sound like Lonny and me.

Thanks to both of you for the replies

Makes sense to this old farmer's granddaughter :o