Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: anti virus programs-a discussion

Default Imho

I spent a year trying all of the recommended AVs, firewalls, registry cleaners, HIPS programs, optimizers, defraggers and anti-spyware on four different XP-based PCs. (And to let you know I download stuff off of the Internet frequently, so I want the best.) Here's what I use:

AV: either ESET's NOD32 or Avira's Antivir - the paid versions. I haven't had any infections since using them. They both have rootkit detection. They both have pretty clunky interfaces...but their ease of use runs rings around Kaspersky unless you just use it "out of the box" - in which case it's not very effective. Antivir occasionally throws a false positive at me...but no big deal.

Firewall: COMODO - best there is, easy to use, has a VERY good HIPS function and it's free. Need I say more?

Anti-spyware - AVG (paid). They've discontinued it as a stand-alone...but I disregarded their "upgrade now" pitches and guess what... my program now says I have an unlimited license, and I continue to get signature updates; Spybot - everyone says this is worthless, but I like it...if for no other reason than its immunization feature; and Ad-aware 2008 (free) - it seems to catch everything the other two miss.

HIPS - I'm still undecided on this...PREVX 2 is my favorite so far...but I haven't bought it yet. I run PREVX CSI (a baby not-real-time version of PREVX2) as a double-check - since they have an extensiveonline database of bogeys from their user community.

Cleaners (Registry and file) - The best there is are two products from Superwin Software (ever heard of them? probably not) - A1 Click Ultra PC Cleaner and Regvac. I use CCleaner when I'm feeling lazy and don't have any problems. Regvac has saved me from doing a system rebuild more than once. You have to be a little careful with A1 not to clean too much!

Edit
    Registry Cleaners, not recommended

Optimizers - Pick from several - each of them seem to have their own particular blend of what they consider optimized. I like Iobit's Advanced WindowsCare V2 Pro for all of the added tools and ease of use. But my all time favorite is Iolo's System Mechanic...I don't recommend their latest version because it is paranoid that you might not have a real license...stick with version 7 for now.

Defraggers - Perfectdisk 2008 - If you have a HD bigger than 80gigs, get this...period. Their super optimization function keeps your files from getting defragged in the first place. Other mentionables...Vopt 9 - very nice features including a cleaner that you can run before you defrag and a kill process function to speed up defrag time...and Iolo's SmartDefrag...it's free and good...has a background feature that helps keeps your files contiguous.

"And that's all I have to say about that...."
    Last edited by tashi; 2012-01-09 at 18:33. Reason: Added link

Quote Originally Posted by kailasa108 View Post
    Firewall: COMODO - best there is, easy to use, has a VERY good HIPS function and it's free. Need I say more?

Spybot - everyone says this is worthless, but I like it...if for no other reason than its immunization feature; and Ad-aware 2008 (free) - it seems to catch everything the other two miss.

"And that's all I have to say about that...."
    Word. Comodo Pro Firewall includes HIP, so I don't need a single HIP program on my machine.
    I don't see how Spybot-Search&Destroy is "worthless" if people haven't even tested it or ran it for the first time. People who just base their answers on other people's judgments are .

Avira performs excellently and has a decent detection rate. I also feel avast! is another program that is promising and robust. Their technology is sophisticated because AV's back then didn't include rookit detection.

However, when it comes to those "tune-up" softwares that claim to 'speed-up' your computer by cleaning the registry, I would be, "get out of my face".

If people disagree, then so be it.

\m/^_^\m/
    Last edited by drragostea; 2008-10-31 at 00:23.

Prex's CSI was detected as malware by VBA 32 on Jotti. Could it be a possible false positive? It's installer was a randomly generated exe (could be defense against malware disabling it?).
    VirusTotal: http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/2...f1323cf5b5f861
    Last edited by drragostea; 2008-10-31 at 01:15. Reason: Added information.

Quote Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
    Do the experts here have a favorite anti virus they could recommend?

I have been flirting with buying bit-defender, but am holding out to make a more informed decision ....

im no expert but i reccomend
    panda
    avast
    or mcafee

but i dont really like mcafee any more but i mostly reccomend panda
    "Nature is a very beautiful thing why not enjoy the beautiful views?You only live once."
    TR098

武道のすべての様式は沖縄、日本で完全に始まった
    このウェブサイトのメンバーがあること自慢している

I tried out the Panda's cloud anti-virus; the principle behind the product seems good, although I wouldn't recommend using it on your 'main' machine as it is still in beta (I have experienced some bugginess!).

I used to use AVG's free anti-virus on all of our machines, but after testing the beta of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE), I was amazed at the detection rate, scanning speed, RAM/CPU usage and other welcome quirks such as the lack of advertisements urging you to upgrade to the premium version as experienced in many other free AVs. As soon as MSE came out of beta (which was quite recent) I switched all of our computers to it.

Of course, no anti-virus will protect you against everything. That's why employing layered security by using other programs like Spybot-S&D is best way to protecting your PC.

Default Top of the Morning to you, Honda12

Thank you for the MSE antivirus tip, I did not know about it.

I have been using AVG for some time, started with the free version and stuck with the software when it became full pay.
    The product is good but the CS is abysmal in the US. Got a better response last Year when I was in FR and had to call the German HQ to renew.

I will try your Microsoft substitute as an additional layer of protection. Still, there is nothing like a good router as a physical firewall first defense

Tata,

MIF.

Oh... it's just classic when some people are under the impression that cleaning their registry with a generic cleaner will get rid of active and potential infections.
    Last edited by tashi; 2009-11-21 at 09:09. Reason: jwillnov09's post has been removed-spammer ;-)

jwillnov09

If you haven't already done so, please read this sticky: Registry Cleaners, not recommended
    Last edited by tashi; 2009-11-21 at 09:08. Reason: jwillnov09's post was removed