Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: anti virus programs-a discussion

To be honest I have not heard of a story where an AV update went wrong and the system could not defrag the drive. Alright, maybe unable to shut down that is plausible.

Online Armor is not bad because it is well respected and earned good marks on the Matousec firewall test.

It is not the firewall that is you the alert about AVG's updates, rather it is the HIPS (Hosts Intrusion Prevention) that is alerting you.

I use Comodo - it's free and a full program... not lite. With myuse of other commercial prog's over the years vindicates my feelings for the Comodo product! It's 'up there' with the world's best. To further my cause, I also use Ad-Aware Pro (purchased) and of cousre Spy-Bot 1:6:2 All together, a great combination!

Good luck Man

Exclamation

VIPRE...

I wont lie, I pirated the shit out of other AV for the longest time, tried out CounterSpy for a few months, during those months i would run things like SpyBot, Malwarebytes and AdAware (not the new bloat version) then run CounterSpy, almost always it would find more (and not just cookies but Spyware/Malware)...

VIPRE came out, I tested the 30 day trial first, had lower CPU/RAM usage, higher detection rates (live protection at that), they added the "sandbox" function 5 days left in my trial, so I downloaded a few files I KNEW where infected but others werent catching, well VIPRE didnt catch it with definitions, but when I clicked on it, it seemed to stop for a second then VIPRE poped up with infection details and method of detection "sandbox"...

Since then I gladly pay the yearly fee and now VIPRE Premium with Firewall, end of story (in my 2nd year now, 3rd in January)!

*as a disclaimer, I dont work for VIPRE (I do resell though, it was that worth it), and I still keep updated copys of the aforementioned other software on my system for an every-other-month check-up... a few times I have found something (significant not just cookies/trackers), otherwise VIPRE it is! (and with site licensing i have it on all 6 computers and not costing out the ass!)

KerryC

ED: Cannot wait for v2 SpyBot-S&D... I have seen so many others "grow up" and "mature" through the XP-Vista-7 changes and can only hope that v2 shatters my sadness :D (also immunization still #1)
    Last edited by FireStorm; 2010-09-18 at 18:36.

Announcements.
    Warning! Vipre strongly recommends to uninstall Spybot-S&D!

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    The current version of Vipre Antivirus from Sunbelt Software proposes uninstalling Spybot-S&D during their own installation process. But there are no known compatibility problems.

You can avoid the uninstall in their installation wizard by pressing "Next" instead of "Go to uninstall" or "Show me how". Then you will be asked "There are other Antivirus products still installed on your computer. Are you sure you want to continue?" There press "Yes", then Spybot-S&D will stay on your computer.

In case you have uninstalled Spybot with Vipre, to get Spybot - Search & Destroy back, we recommend a fresh installation of Spybot-S&D 1.6.2.

That is the same marketing behaviour that McAfee and Kaspersky uses to kick competitors out of the business. Please do also have a look at this link on our homepage.

More...
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that, however it does the same thing for EVERY Anti software as a "safeguard", I really dont mind it at all, just continue past it :D (additionally its not like the other guys who basicly force you to uninstall it, wont install without removing it, or telling you that it IS bad or has compatibility issues, it only says there COULD be! again VIPRE gains my respect!)

(on a side note, its funny to watch SpyBot, Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes', SuperAntiSpyware do a scan, and VIPRE to pickup all the crap they miss, it really works well as a COMPLETE multi part solution!)
    Last edited by FireStorm; 2010-09-19 at 23:41.

Hi FireStorm,
    Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
    *as a disclaimer, I dont work for VIPRE (I do resell though, it was that worth it),
    Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
    (on a side note, its funny to watch SpyBot, Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes', SuperAntiSpyware do a scan, and VIPRE to pickup all the crap they miss, it really works well as a COMPLETE multi part solution!)
    I think we all do get your message.

I second and will expand upon an earlier poster's note about the shameful business practices of several major anti-virus makers who go out of their way to either deliberately make their products incompatible with competitors' products, or at least claim that they are during installation. This is a crime in my view and those vendors should be prosecuted.

In my own experience, Kaspersky is the worst offender in this regard (there may be others as bad or worse, but I don't know of them first hand). For example, Kaspersky's Anti-Virus will refuse to install if you have the ZoneAlarm Pro firewall installed (and perhaps other competitors' products), which is widely considered the most secure on the commercial market.

Kaspersky also refuses to install if you have one of several competitive anti-malware tools installed. The goal is quite clearly to try to coerce you to buy Kasperky's other security products instead. I find that outrageous!

The truth is, however, that if you install Kaspersky AV first (you have to uninstall those other products before the KAV install will work), and then re-install them afterward, they usually work just fine together! You may have to disable specific options, such as uninstalling ZoneAlarm's bug-ridden Browser Defender / Toolbar from your browser's add-ons or make sure you don't have two simultaneous email anti-virus monitors going, but otherwise there's no actual conflict or reduction in security like they claim there would be.

That's another important fact: Most vendors and sites loudly insist that you must never, ever have more than one anti-malware tool installed, but I've found that that's almost always a flat-out falsehood. In this regard, Avira -- especially their user fora -- is one of the very worst offenders around! If you post a problem with Avira Anti-Vir, commercial or free, they make you post a "Hijack This" log and if the other forum users or moderators see that you also have a third-party firewall or anti-spyware tool installed, they'll almost always blame that other piece of software for everything. They'll order you to remove it all before they'll even bother with you, and even then they'll very probably just insult or ignore you for even suggesting that there just might be something wrong with their apparently "sacred" software.

As such, I was quite shocked to see some positive comments about Avira's user fora above in this thread because every single time I've asked for help there I've been lied to or otherwise treated terribly. Also, Avira's moderators are considerably more power-mad than most mods.

That being said, I guess it's a bit ironic that I currently use Kaspersky's paid anti-virus on one XP Pro box and Avira's paid anti-virus on the other four XP or Win7 boxes because they've both been highly rated in independent AV tests. And I use the paid versions because you really do get better tools that way: The XP machines that I've used freeware AV tools on have been infected countless times (though of course they never reported that, so I had to learn of these infections through other means), while the machines I've used highly rated paid AV tools on have been infected far less often.

In the past, I used G-Data's Anti-virus tool which was then extremely highly rated because it used multiple anti-virus engines and therefore had extraordinarily strong detection ratings. Unfortunately, it was quite a resource hog for precisely the same reason: it used multiple anti-virus engines. That's why I switched: Avoiding infections is not the only thing you want your computer to do!

I find Kaspersky's AV to be distinctly superior to Avira's in terms of detecting and removing viruses, yet I nevertheless use Avira's AV on every machine that I use to download very much because, of the two, only Avira provides an on-demand virus scanner that you can invoke using the extremely useful and popular Download Statusbar browser add-on. That way, you can automatically scan every file immediately after you download it.

Kaspersky didn't even understand the question when I asked their tech support team about a dozen times if their AV tool provided a similar capability! Finally, a higher-ranking person admitted that their product simply does NOT support that, but he promised it would be added to their 2011 AV product. They're selling their 2011 AV now, yet when I emailed their tech support department recently several times to see if they actually did add that capability, they simply sent back form letters with nothing but unrelated sales claims and still has never even tried to answer my actual question.

YMMV, of course....

Default Comodo anti virus

Hello All,
    Does anyone have any recent experience with C A V free?
    I see that Matousec rates Comodo I S v4 very highly, but my interest is CAV.
    I currently have AVG v8.5, and for some time, have monitored their forums through the release of v9 and now v2011, and I think it is time to change.
    My firewall is XP sp3 and I also have Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes. I trust both of those programs, so there must be no conflict with whichever AV that I choose.
    I would also appreciate any other advice with comparisons with the features/perfomance of CAV.
    I would be greatful for your advice

My votes go to AVG free and Ad-Aware. I've used these for about 5 years now and ive never EVER had a virus related problem when used along with spybot.

As far as registry cleaners i absolutely love WinASO registry optimizer. its a PAID registry cleaner but the trial version that i use can clean 10 entries at a time. Its very reliable and as long as u scan one section at a time to clean its a breeze since the scanning is very quick.

Ive used all these programs like i said for years. I have at one time paid for a version of WinASO before but i found it senseless with the simple scanning i mentioned. Also provides a booster if you wanted to use it and nice interface that links to many windows tools and also includes a nice start up manager.

Hello rikilla0789

FYI: Registry Cleaners, not recommended

Hope that's useful, cheers.