Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: anti virus programs-a discussion

Surely Microsoft Security Essentials has to be on a list of recommended AV:

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Thumbs up There are many antivirus to mention but .....

I have much time using different antivirus like NOD32, Avast, Norton, Panda, Avira, and others who now can not remember but the truth is that every day creates a new virus most often mentioning the antivirus not keep pace with hackers and their databases become obsolete but that is still fresh antivirus is AVG is going great, I recommend it.

Personally I would recommend Avast since it is free and it is updated 2-3 times daily. I never had any problems and other anti-virus programs are unable to identify any virus on my stick, and it is plugged in 24/7.

Default anti-virus software

Just bought a Toshiba laptop (consumer reports rec) from Best Buy with
    Kaspersky preinstalled. The geeks there claim it is the best. I'm no expert but it has caught a lot of bad ware on its scans. But I also run search and destroy and I think it catches stuff Kaspersky misses.
    Also, is search and destroy an antivirus software? That's how muchI know!!
    One question, should i turn off anti-virus when using spybot?

Hello billepete,
    Quote Originally Posted by billepete View Post
    Just bought a Toshiba laptop (consumer reports rec) from Best Buy
    Also, is search and destroy an antivirus software?
    Spybot-S&D is not an anti virus program. The application searches for spyware, malware, adware, trojans, hijackers and keyloggers.
    One question, should i turn off anti-virus when using spybot?
    The short answer is no. Do you mean while running a scan, did someone at the store suggest you should. Which version of Kaspersky do you have installed.

Best regards.

Edit
    Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Last edited by tashi; 2013-06-12 at 22:21. Reason: Update
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default Best AV product?

I personally run Kaspersky from a thumbdrive, and use F-Secure as my main
    AV program. Please note that virus authors often target the popular(not necessarily the best) antivirus programs. They uninstall or block them before infection. Having more than one AV product is better in my opinion.

No, I am not going to say how I do that
    The thumbdrive is a full blown operating system that is bootable. (that was
    a hint)

Reminds me of an Ultimate Boot CD; just a mini version inside a thumbdrive. Course you cannot fully blast out a Windows OS from a flash drive.

Been long time since i posted on here(never in tavern just to get rid of crap of system), but am kind of interested as to what is being recomended for a free AV as AVG newest updates seem a little risky(OA saying screenlogger detected with one of them) and you can no longer shut down the program itself easily to run a complete defrag of your system. I have been reading through posts and it seems Avast and Avira both seem to come up quite often and was wondering what the difference is between them and which people seem to prefer for safety ease of use is not as important?

Rarely do I hear about anti-virus updates backfiring (like McAfee once which made a false positive several times); the stories about Avira and avast! having updates that resulted in false positives are almost non-existent. I am not saying it in a flattering way but I honestly have not heard any stories about them yet.

AVG might have a few updates that backfired a few times; however that does not justify an inference that it is a bad anti-virus. The company made mistakes in the past but they did take the effort and time to fix it.
    -
    Lastly, I do not have a clue about this "OA" program you are talking about. Is it some kind of keylogger detector?

I doubt AVG would distribute malware via updates. That is impossible.
    -
    and you can no longer shut down the program itself easily to run a complete defrag of your system.
    I have no idea what you are talking about.

OA that i am talking about is Online Armour (or Armor if you live in the US). and that is the program that has identified a screenlogger in AVG when update came down.

TY about the other 2 inputs about avira and avast though.