Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: anti virus programs-a discussion

thank you glad to be here signed up after about 7 years of use lol.

i just mentioned mined because i ALWAYS look over its findings and it has never found a bad error in the 5 years ive used it. its pretty safe in finding things that lead to absolutely no where and thats about all it finds to keep it neat and prevent false system shortcuts. but i do understand the paranoia behind the use

Cool

For almost as long as there has been a "Spybot Search & Destroy" I've been using it and sharing it with my home computer customers.
    I've made donations as I could afford it and I've urged my customers to do likewise. Having said that......

Spybot S&D is a great program for removing Adware/Spyware, but it has never claimed to be an Anti-Virus/Anti-Trojan program although I have witnessed it removing some Trojans.
    For that reason, I have used and shared AVG FREE for myself and all my hundreds of customers. We all remain virus and spyware FREE.

I've spent a considerable amount of time and money, typing up and printing instructions for the use of Spybot S&D for all my customers. It's a GREAT program if set up and run properly. To every user, I stress the 1-2-3 approach..... update, immunize and scan, every week.

I find the user interface for ver. 2 to be way too "Techie" for my retired customers to deal with, whereas version 1.6.x was very simple and user friendly. I really had to search for a simple way to just get the most recent updates to ver. 2.

I also found that at the end of a scan, all my cookies and history were pre-checked for deletion. I don't want that!
    Let me check what I want deleted, like in the older version.
    Only pre-check Spyware and other known Malware.

I also heard a question about registry cleaners. On some forums, even the mention of that, is a NO! NO!
    I have tried the much touted "CCleaner" twice over a period of several years and both times it has left my computer UN-Bootable.
    I had to turn to a full C: drive restore (I use Ghost) to get my computer back up and running again.

Having said that, I do use a registry and junk cleaner, called "Easy Cleaner 2".
    I've used it on my own PC's and the PC's of most of my customers with never any negative effects. However it's almost redundant to clean the junk out of your registry unless you re-compress it afterwards. Only after a re-compression, will it actually take up less space in RAM when it loads and improve system efficiency.

After removing Office 2007 from my HD, I ran Easy Cleaner 2 and then NTREGOPT to re-compress the registry and it reduced the overall size of the registry by 30+ megabytes. So I'm definitely a PRO-ponent of registry cleaning, if it's done intelligently.

That's about it!
    Thank you, Safer-Networking for a great effort to improve an already great product.

The Doctor

Thanks.

Thumbs up

I' am using Kaspersky 6.0 for Windows Work Stations and of course Spybot Search & Destroy. My computer is indestructible when I use them. It's important tu use and up-date them on time. They are excellent

I'm using Eset Nod32 4.2.71. I love it. Detects and cleans everything. RECOMMENDED!

I tried McAfee for a bit, but i did not really like it do to the system lag. On my old system it was quite slow...took 8 hours to complete a full scan.

Edit -tashi
    Split off to correct thread
    Last edited by my.computer; 2011-07-22 at 01:26. Reason: Wrong topic post

Quote Originally Posted by imageek View Post
    I'm using Eset Nod32 4.2.71. I love it. Detects and cleans everything. RECOMMENDED!
    im thinking about purchasing it, as soon as i get my system clean,w ith the help of these lovely people.

Yea, but I'd wait to buy it. Version 5 is just around the corner. Eset has released a RC version, so it won't be long till' the final release arrives!! :D

Default ClamAv and Microsoft Security Essentials

I use OpenSource antivirus ClamAv and Microsoft Security Essentials.

Hi rameshp2ppu,
    Quote Originally Posted by rameshp2ppu View Post
    I use OpenSource antivirus ClamAv and Microsoft Security Essentials.
    Are both running on the same computer?

Best regards,
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016