Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcing betas: TeaTimer / Updater / Vista integration

Quote Originally Posted by rdsok View Post
    Hi all,

Randy ( rdsok ) Moderator from the AVG Free forum here...

I'd thought I'd clarify some issues concerning the AVG Pro detection that was mentioned. AVG Pro AntiVirus also detects adware and other potentially unwanted programs... AVG Free only detects standard ( if there is such a term today ) virus's, trojans and worms but not the others that Pro can detect. You should also note that Pro detected ( falsely in this case ) this as a Potentially Unwanted Program... not as a virus and there is a big difference as many here already know.

This is an important distinction that users really need to pay attention to with any protection program or they may be getting rid of a utility that they knowingly download and use for good reasons... a lot of good utils are detected by AV and AS programs just to alert the user to their presence and not to indicate that the program is malware of some sort. Commonly detected programs include network scanners, password retrieval utils and many others as well. So the point is... pay attention to what your software is really telling you about the items it is detecting and don't just blindly delete everything listed or you may loose something you don't want lost.

PS... just for good measure... I've tested with the AVG Free 7.1x and 7.5x as well as AVG Pro 7.5 versions against this and it still comes up as clean..
    you bring up some really great points about avg pro vs. avg free and also anti-virus/anti-spyware programs.

great job on the quick response and modification of the definitions file. that's why i use avg pro. plus it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by diverdan View Post
    you bring up some really great points about avg pro vs. avg free and also anti-virus/anti-spyware programs.

great job on the quick response and modification of the definitions file. that's why i use avg pro. plus it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
    Your welcome... but I don't work for Grisoft, but they do respond very quickly to issues like these.. The moderators on the AVG Free forum are all just AVG Free users that have voluteered their time to help the other users.

So far so good. No issues what so ever here

Greetz, Red.

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    <snip>
    Vista Security Center

The Windows Security Center included with Windows Vista has a dedicated entry for malware protection software.
    Microsoft ships Windows Defender with Vista, however, Spybot-S&D can now easily integrate into the Vista Security Center; which will then monitor if Spybot-S&D is up-to-date and whether the permanent protection (TeaTimer) is running or not.
    This update will only show on Vista systems, since previous Windows versions do not offer anti malware integration into WSC.

Download beta versions of above tools here
    I installed this tools on Vista Rc1 Build 5600. Even though Teatimer and Sdhelper were all on, it still showed this:

If I attempt to click turn on, it will just launch Spybot S&d and the status will still remain turn off.

Also, the text in Vista security centre shows like that:

Windows defender and Spybot - Search _destroy both report that they are both turn off
    The text is missing an &.

I don't know if these problems are fixed in later builds of vista but they sure are a problem in RC1.

Shouldn't be a problem in RC2 (5744), I don't have a VM of RC1 any more to test it there (edit: wait, or maybe it still is, see below).

Btw: Spybot-S&D has absolutely no way of influencing Windows Defender, so that bug won't come from us.

The thing about the amp (&) is that Windows can use this characters as a sign that the next caption is a shortcut letter, thus the & would not be displayed, but the following letter underlined. In those cases, one has to use a double amp (&&) to tell it to display the actual letter. The problem here is something you can see in the other screenshot: in one place Windows is interpreting it as a shortcut, in the other as a letter. We can provide only one name - so it's a bug in WSC
    • Did you leave the checkboxes at the end of the setup on (Service Installation & Run service)?
    • Could you check if the SDWinSec service is running?
      (Start) > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Services and Applications > Services > SBSD Security Center Service
    • I'm going to improve some of the updating for a second beta
    That "turn on" starts Spybot instead of TeaTimer, well that's because the SpybotSD.exe has not yet been replaced. Let me see... got an idea maybe... could you please test this?
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

do you need any beta/RC testing done, on a WinXP system? If so, let me know. Dont mind helping out

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    <snip>
    • Did you leave the checkboxes at the end of the setup on (Service Installation & Run service)?
    • Could you check if the SDWinSec service is running?
      (Start) > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Services and Applications > Services > SBSD Security Center Service
    • I'm going to improve some of the updating for a second beta
    [/url]?
    1. Yes, I check both boxes at the end of the setup.
    2. Yep, is turned on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    That "turn on" starts Spybot instead of TeaTimer, well that's because the SpybotSD.exe has not yet been replaced. Let me see... got an idea maybe... could you please test this?
    Ones I installed it, Security centre started detecting that spybot is on.

When I turned off teatimer through the windows taskbar, it takes a while(10sec) before security centre realized that spybot is off.

Then, I attempted to turn it on through the security centre, it works like a charm, teatimer was instantly turn on and shown in the taskbar.

But one thing to note that if when turning off/on teatimer through WSC, it dosen't affect the settings located at Spybot-->Advance mode-->Tools-->Resident.

Cheers.
    Last edited by dk2005; 2006-12-11 at 16:12.

Ok, Microsoft apologizes for not finding the & bug in testing, won't even be ready for SP1, so we'll probably change the "&" to "and" to workaround their bug

Regarding the settings: hmmm yes, that's right. Right now it's just a silly starter. Good point

before this update ihave message box issues now i can see all text inside and all button well placed but, i have new issues based on teatimer advices
    One reg modify box pop and ask me confirmation about the change of my home page (like before was www.google.com now is www.google.com\ the only change is "\") i push on allow after choose remember my decision.
    teatimer start spamming message box (like a colum from the sistray to the top of desktop) taking about white list and my decision that allow modify of registry.

I am at work (windows 2000 professional edition)cannot do screeshot, the only way to shut up this colum of messages (same text in all boxes) is to close teatimer.exe process from taskmanager.

I like spybot i hope to see a fix
    Last edited by Xray70; 2006-12-14 at 13:31.

Could you take a look at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\ ?

There should be a folder Snapshots (old TeaTimer) and Snapshots2 there. If you remove the second one, he'll redetect all current settings. Or maybe even better: remove the Excludes\RegKeyWhite.sbs file. Then, please try again.