Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcing betas: TeaTimer / Updater / Vista integration

Quote Originally Posted by noel-pr7 View Post
    windows xp service pack 3 is scheduled to be released sometime in the first half of 2008 as noted on the Windows Service Pack Road Map page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lif...vicepacks.mspx
    I would not be surprised if that becomes a non-event once Vista rolls out to the public early 2007.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

@diverdan: Just received this from AVG:
    Unfortunately, the previous virus database might have detected the virus (Trojan Horse) on some legitimate applications. We
    can confirm that it was a false alarm. We have immediately released the new virus update that removes the false positive on this application. AVG with newest update doesn't detect the file as a virus.
    @noel-pr7: are you using "schedules" and "Microsoft" in the same sentence? The whole WSC details are under a NDA anyway, so I won't say anything further on the topic

Regarding Windows 95, 1.4 failed since Borland removed support for Windows 95 from its Developer Studio. I recently gave up on hoping they would adjust, and patched everything myself (the reason they removed support was really really silly: see the toolbar with the gradient on the white/blacklist window of the new TeaTimer? Just for the possibility of using this, they gave up 95 compatibility... we were able to work around that though, without even giving up the gradients on 98 and newer). And I think I tested the new TeaTimer myself on various Win95 virtual machines we have here to make sure all the patching works. Some people may laugh at making stuff backwards compatible to operating systems older than 10 years, but recently I actually even worked towards ReactOS and Wine compatibility as well.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

I use AVG Free edition, with no issues. Wonder why there is a differance!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by wk357mag View Post
    I too have AVG Antivirus 7.5 Free Edition installed on my WinXP SP2 computer and have no problems with the sbsdtools15beta.exe file. maybe diverdan downloaded the file from a bad web site. try getting it from the Spybot web site instead of a mirror site.

PepiMK, I did try out Teatimer 1.5 on an old Win95 SR2 computer at my next-door neighbor's house and it works.

Quote Originally Posted by streetwolf View Post
    Two issues I've run into.

1. My AV program (AVG Pro) flags the beta exe as some sort of malware. As a result I can't even download it using the IE7 download manager. However, I was able to d/l it using Flashget.
    what version of AVG Pro were you using, streetwolf?

I use AVG Free 7.5 and it didn't find anything wrong with it. AND I have the latest virus definition files for AVG Free installed. weird
    Last edited by noel-pr7; 2006-12-07 at 22:19.

Quote Originally Posted by wk357mag View Post
    which version of AVG Free, wk357mag? version 7.1 or 7.5

I even installed AVG anti-spyware free edition (latest version & latest build) and it too found nothing wrong with the sbsdtools15beta.exe file.

note to diverdan and streetwolf: try downloading the sbsdtools15beta.exe file using Firefox or Seamonkey web browser instead of IE. do not use any third party download managers to get the file.
    Last edited by noel-pr7; 2006-12-07 at 22:47.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

noel-pr7:

It may be a mute point now since according to PepiMK @ 2006-12-07 09:38 (GMT/UCT):

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    @diverdan: Just received this from AVG:
    Unfortunately, the previous virus database might have detected the virus (Trojan Horse) on some legitimate applications. We
    can confirm that it was a false alarm. We have immediately released the new virus update that removes the false positive on this application. AVG with newest update doesn't detect the file as a virus.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-12-07 at 23:12.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by noel-pr7 View Post
    which version of AVG Free, wk357mag? version 7.1 or 7.5
    I have the 7.5 Free edition, which updates daily, so it had the latest files onboard at that time.

Hi all,

Randy ( rdsok ) Moderator from the AVG Free forum here...

I'd thought I'd clarify some issues concerning the AVG Pro detection that was mentioned. AVG Pro AntiVirus also detects adware and other potentially unwanted programs... AVG Free only detects standard ( if there is such a term today ) virus's, trojans and worms but not the others that Pro can detect. You should also note that Pro detected ( falsely in this case ) this as a Potentially Unwanted Program... not as a virus and there is a big difference as many here already know.

This is an important distinction that users really need to pay attention to with any protection program or they may be getting rid of a utility that they knowingly download and use for good reasons... a lot of good utils are detected by AV and AS programs just to alert the user to their presence and not to indicate that the program is malware of some sort. Commonly detected programs include network scanners, password retrieval utils and many others as well. So the point is... pay attention to what your software is really telling you about the items it is detecting and don't just blindly delete everything listed or you may loose something you don't want lost.

PS... just for good measure... I've tested with the AVG Free 7.1x and 7.5x as well as AVG Pro 7.5 versions against this and it still comes up as clean..