Thread: Anyone familiar with .bis extension?

Exclamation Anyone familiar with .bis extension?

Hi...

Lately several (as in 30 or more) of my .doc and .jpg and other file extension files have changed the name to the extension .bis.

When that happens, the file size changes to 0 kb.. so of course, the file is no longer there. I've run searches on Google for this and searched a few other places, but no one seems to have heard of it. Is this a virus of some kind, and if so, what can I do about saving the remaining files????

Oh.. and now when I run SpyBot, it gets about 3/4 of the way complete with the scan and then the computer shuts itself off.

I'd appreciate any help possible!!
    Sharon

Hello.

I would have asked for a Spybot-S&D log, but as it appears you would have a problem producing one, please follow the procedure in this link: "BEFORE you POST" -Preliminary Steps to run an on-line Anti-Virus scan and making a HJT log.

Then start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum

Once you have posted a helper will advise you as soon as available.

Cheers.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default .bis extension notes

There is an Israeli company that's marketing a synchronization program for any number of computers, this is called BeInSync. This program saves copies of your files on servers and adding a .bis extension to the existing extension, eg. photo123.jpg.bis.
    I have used a freee, limited version of the program and it works very well, even over internet connections, however it is a pain in the posterior to upgrade to the full version because their payment partner for some reason will not accept European Visa cards, so you have to make the payment via bank transfers, ie. SWIFT numbers and so on.
    Hope this is of some help...