Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: TrendMicro Internet Security 2007 conflict.

Glad to help

Also, if you decide to go with the free stuff, get an anti-virus program and at least one rootkit scanner, in addition to the firewall and antispyware programs. AVG has free av, anti-spyware, and anti-rootkit. Another free rootkit pgm is RootkitRevealer, by SysInternals.
    I have used RootkitRevealer, AVG's rootkit pgm, and Zonealarm free firewall, with no special problems.
    The rootkit programs are for occasional full scans, not real-time protection, and I don't *think* they conflict with anything. You can have both, but don't plan on doing anything else while they are scanning.

BTW, PC-cillin 2007 has an anti-rootkit feature which I think the 2006 version does not. If I am correct about 2006 not having it, that would be the most important advantage of the 2007 version -- at least to me, since I don't use the other new features that they make more noise about.

is trend micro helpful with their support you dont think this is turning into another anti virus taking on spybot s&d like that norton fiasco do you??

Default Withholding Judgment on TrendMicro's Helpfulness b/c...

So far I haven't been impressed with TrendMicro's helpfulness in my personal situation as a computer idiot, however, since I only have 1-year experience owning a computer and am only used to TM (and an idiot) and have been fortunate not to have problems, I'm probably gonna stick with the 2006 TrendMicro.

What happened with me is that because I didn't want to abandon Spybot I declined to install the TrendMicro 2007, though I'd already paid for it, upon TM warning me of the Spybot incompatibility. Then I took Lord Cobal's advice and tried (repeatedly) to call TM (using different TM phone #s) to ask if instead of the 2007 they'd just extend my 2006 TM, since it is compatible. Either TM's phone was busy or rang without answering. The day after that, though, I noticed the expiration date of my TM 2006 was extended a year anyway--weird, maybe TM just does that when a person declines to go through with the install?

Back to TM support, the one time last year I did manage to get through to TM support (by reaching them through a phone # not for home computer users), the individual was rather impatient and not willing to explain to my newbie self the feature I wasn't understanding (Wi-Fi Intrusion Detection), and just said to disable the feature. That's all I know. (and to Lord Cobal--I noted your Rootkit advice, thanks)

I've had mixed results with their tech support over the years, but not really worse than with other companies. Its just too bad they don't have a forum like this one.

--------------------------

I think Cynthia's expiration date extended because their home-user registrations & money are not really tied to any specific year's version of the software.

You don't have to wait till your expiration to update to next year, or give them more money to get the next year before your expiration. Renew / pay them just before expiration, then after the new version comes out, download the "trial" version and install it using the paid-for registration number.

Pretty wallet-friendly, considering the $50 license is good for 3 PCs.

Just be sure you to keep the registration number safe.

Incidentally, if you had 2006 and paid $50 for a new 2007, you might have paid too much. You could have just renewed 2006 for a bit less and still gotten 2007, with all its accompanying "fun" Or, you could have gotten 2007 for free months ago.
    Not sure if this applies to pre-installed versions on a new computer, though.

Default FYI- Conflict with TM Internet Security 2007

Hi there,
    Well, after 3 days of scratching my head I finally fixed my extremely slow computer. I had seen this thread as well as the Trend Micros solution and my computer was still crawling. I thought I had followed the directions but after discovering a certain registry key: HKEY USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT VERSION\INTERNET SETTINGS\ZONEMAP\DOMAINS had thousands of entrys in it I decided to check further. If you look at Trend Micro's file usrwl.dat (open it with notepad- for me it was an extremely large file) you will see what the process PcScnSrv.exe is checking against when windows is loading. In my case it was checking against all the entries in the registry key mentioned above. These entries are where Spybot puts all the bad products when you immunize your system. When I first installed TM I let it uninstall Spybot as directed. After finding this forum I reinstalled and followed the directions but I did so without first updating spybot (I had always kept spybot up-to-date) and immunizing first so when I clicked UNDO to NOT protect against all bad products it did not recognize that those thousands of entries were still in the registry. Last night I reinstalled Spybot and updated with the latest immunization list. I then immunized my system. When I then clicked UNDO- it removed all the entries (over 29,000) from the registry key above. When I rebooted - VOILA - my system was back to its speedy self.
    So, if you are still have problems with Trend Micro slowing your system to a crawl try reinstalling spybot, updating, immunizing and then click undo.

I hope this helps.