Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TrendMicro Internet Security 2007 conflict.

Default TrendMicro Internet Security 2007 conflict.

I've recently been sent a free upgrade from TrendMicro for Internet Security 2007 from PC-Cillain 2006. I've got several issues I've found with it. According to a poster on Wilders Security Forums, he had contact Trend Micro about these issues, which include high memory and CPU usage and problems with their spyware applications, and their tech support told him to uninstall TrendMicro, delete it's program folder, then undo immunizations for Spybot and uninstall Spybot before reinstalling Trend Micro IS2007. Evidently this resolved his issues. Are there any known conflicts between these two products? I never had any issues with their 2006 software.

There's absolutely no reason to uninstall Spybot-S&D; if some parts would conflict, just those parts could be disabled.

Will refrain from any more words right now, since this topic is just bad for my stomach
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

I've reverted 2 out or 3 PCs back to 2006 now anyway. I was finding way too much slowdown and too many issues with 2007. I left one just to play with and see if I can work out any issues or if TrendMicro will fix any issues in a timely manner. Thanks for the input.

Trend Micro PC Cillin ???? had a conflict with some other security software a couple of years ago, I think we finally concluded TM-PCC was just trying to displace the other software ... we dumped Trend Micro and are now quite happy with AVG

The issue apparently is with the immunization feature, I've been having fun and games with this for a few days now.
    TM's real time spyware scanner detects all the immunization entries as infections, as well as spybots host list, as well as their 'on-demand' scanner.
    The support guy said I could re-install spybot after I had installed TM. Just about to see how that goes...

Interesting, that's kind of a massive false positive by TM then! I remember a few years ago that happened by MS AntiSpyware (?) as well... they just detect the presence of the entry then, not whether it's declared as "allowed" or "denied" then. I though we would've passed those superficial times already
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Installing spybot again after installing TM seems to resolved the issues, but I agree, it is just a massive continual false +'ve. After checking the spyware scan log in TM i can see why it had consumed all the cpu, It had 'detected' all the immunizations (i also had spyware blaster) and hosts entries as spyware over and over again.
    Much happier now that spybots back on my pc :-)

Esteemed Member

This situation is MUCH worse than the Microsoft AntiSpyware issue. In that case MSAS only detected entries such as www.badsite.tld when they were in the process of being added to the registry by spybot, since it didn't recognize that the entry wasn't yet complete with the associated value. This has been fixed in Windows Defender, which now simply detects changes to the hosts file and displays the complete list as a notification.

Actually, Microsoft never intended these lists to be automated in this way, but then again, they never intended for malware writers to abuse them either. Microsoft and Spybot appear to have a fairly good relationship at this point, which is why I continue to support both.

An application that isn't aware of these types of uses and detects such entries during a static scan isn't very aware of the current realities. I don't think I'd trust such an application to detect anything really iimportant until they get the basics taken care of. Is this product a beta version?

Bitman

Here is my experience. Around December 2nd the “System” process started constantly using 95% of my CPU and accessing my harddrive. I ended up isolating the problem to PC-cllin 2006. I had been running PC-cllin Internet Security 2006 for over a year with no problems. I’m not sure if this problem was triggered by an update to PC-cillin or by me upgrading to IE 7. All the harddrive access turned out to be PC-cillin writing multiple GBs of temp files for seemingly no reason. I updated to the 2007 version but that didn't fix the problem.

Trend Micro put a KB article up http://esupport.trendmicro.com/suppo...&id=EN-1033903 that states that Spybot's immunization causes the PC-cllin Internet Security 2007 Scan engine to use lots of CPU power. Removing the immunizations helped lower the CPU usage in my case but I also had to uninstall IE 7 in order to bring the CPU usage all the way back to normal.

I also uninstalled SpywareBlaster since its only purpose is an immunization feature similar to the one in Spybot.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Do you think PC-cillin 2007 provides enough protection without also running other programs such as Spybot and Windows Defender (which is also incompatible with the 2007 version http://esupport.trendmicro.com/suppo...&id=EN-1032885 ) ?

I agree with bitman, the 2007 release still seems to be in the beta stage.

Angry

I also had "upgraded" to IE7.0, followed by Trend Micro's Internet Security 2007. My computer ground to a crawl, and I also saw the resource-hogging TM programs tmproxy.exe and pcsnsrv.exe. I didn't like IE 7 anyway, so uninstalled it and went back to IE 6. This did not seem to make a difference in TM IS 2007. I finally uninstalled TM 2007 and went back to 2006. Everything works fine now. I got a response from TM with a link to the SpyBot S&D problem. I don't know if I'm willing to go through the whole process again, because I'm not sure that will solve all the issues with TM 2007. Seems like it wanted to update itself frequently, which was annoying.

If anyone has experience with TM 2007 after "correcting" the S&D issue, please let me know.
    Thanks