Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TrendMicro Internet Security 2007 conflict.

Default TIS now says it will uninstall Spybot for you

The latest version of Trend Internet Security gives a message at installation: Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 is incompatible with Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4. As a result, you cannot run both on your computer. Click "Yes" to install Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 and uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4, or click "No" to stop the installation.

Anybody who insists on removing other security software before installing theirs is putting their interests ahead of their users' security, and shouldn't be selling security software at all.

But, there is a subsequent dialog message - before it actually begins Spybot uninstall - which notes that you primarily need to concern yourself with specific changes made by Spybot, mentioning the immunization updates.

It also says that you probably don't need to actually uninstall - just back out those changes.

I realize this is a stopgap update to Trend Micro's installer routine as a way of minimizing known problems, but they need to become more graceful with recognizing Spybot immunization changes as a long-term fix, it would seem.

- wader

Default Trend Micro and Massive FPs for Hosts?

Would this conflict explain the following (I posted to another area by mistake):

I enabled the host file protection and when my Trend Micro scanned it searched nearly 3,000 hosts files and labeled 107 "suspects" and high privacy threat.

When I asked for more info. about each item, however, it said that not all hosts files are spyware. Gee, that's helpful.

Is this a usual false positive when enabling Spybot's 127.0.0.1 hosts option?

Why didn't it find all of the files "suspect?"

The 107 were all grouped under two items:

Adware_Memwatcher (94 items)
    TSPYW_Small (13 items).

It won't let me copy the results to paste here.

Hi all, so can anyone confirm that spybot and tmis07 will happily exist on the same machine, as long as I don't use immunization and spybot hosts?
    TMIS07 now has an IDS thing, but rather than blocking the changes until the user gives permission, it lets the changes occur, then tells you that they have occured, and lets you change them back. I miss my spybot, and want it back!
    Last edited by Argus; 2007-02-14 at 05:02.

Default Trend Micro and Spybot Hosts

Trend Micro was the ONLY anti-spyware program to detect those HOST files as spyware. When I removed the HOST files, Trend Micro found no spyware.

Two assumptions:

1. I doubt Spybot allows individuals to download its program full of spyware!

2. Given the negative findings of other programs (AVG, Spybot, Panda), I believe these were false positives. If you are really paranoid, you could simply remove the 100 HOST files and leave all the rest.

However, I had Trend Micro Anti-Spyware 3.5 for a year and it kept missing spyware so I junked it. I wouldn't rely on it.

bit the bullet and installed spybot again, without using immunization or hosts, all ok
    Last edited by Argus; 2007-02-14 at 05:43. Reason: smiley didn't work!

Default have a similar problem

just new to the forum, I think after reading all of your posts I will leave TM 2006 installed instead of 2007. that seems to work fine. I will contact TM and let them know that it's not nice to be asked to uninstall another perfectly good product, so that they don't have to deal with the problem they obviously created with their new version. thanks for the input.

Default Trend and Spybot...

All Trend is doing is searching for key words and since Spybot list all the bad and evil sites out there in the hosts. file to put them to invaild address Trend thinks it is ADWARE_MEMWATCHER. Just ignore the message.

Default PC-cillin 2007 version 15.3 released to fix slow down and add Vista support

For those of you having slow down problems with Trend Micro PC-cillin 2007 version 15.3 was just released which adds Vista support and may help with speed issues.

You can see the KB article on slow down here http://esupport.trendmicro.com/suppo...tID=EN-1033903 and download the update here http://esupport.trendmicro.com/suppo...tentID=1034407

I'm not sure why Trend Micro doesn't have PC-cillin automatically update itself to this new version.

Default TrendMicro and Spybot issue

This is complicated, but I'm going to try and explain what has happened to me in two cases. I'm a computer pro (since 1987) and this was very hard to figure out:
    I always use Spybot. For the last 2 years I have always used TrendMicro (I'm a reseller, and Symantec and McAffee have both disappointed me).
    I upgraded to 'TrendMicro Client/Server/Messaging' for our company. I had no problems until (and I don't know which of these are pertinent):

1. I upgraded to Windows Media Player 11 which included .net 2.0 (why it had to be upgraded I don't know, I think Premiere required it or something)
    2. and added Adobe Premiere Elements
    Then I received a large (109 Mb) .avi file from someone. That day my drive light came on and would not go out. The computer churned into unbelievable slowness.
    I tried several 'fixes' including replacing the drive and Ghost'ing the image back on the computer. Shortly after booting, the drive light would come on and would not go out.

To shorten a two-week process, I'll just give the ending: I uninstalled Spybot --no improvement. I put Spybot back on. I uninstalled Trend--no improvement.

Finally, I uninstalled Spybot, rebooted. I then uninstalled TrendMicro, rebooted.

After that, the drive is behaving normally and all is okay. I put Trend back on, and it still is working fine.
    I want to put Spybot back on, but I am going to call Trend and post this in the forum before I do.

The summary is that Something is up with TrendMicro and Spybot, but what is it. . . ?

Part of my diagnosys included using Sysinternals procmon, and I do know that Teatimer and a Trend process (pcsomething...) were going nuts and that the page file was getting hammered and growing.

I hope this helps in some way, I promise anyone that Trend does NOT find spyware anywhere near as well as Spybot does. I wish they had never added that 'feature' to the virus scan. This trend of adding more and more 'features' to software is causing a lot of trouble.