Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TrendMicro Internet Security 2007 conflict.

Default TrendMicro and Spybot PS.

The product that I was using was NOT Pc-Cillin, it was technically 'Client Server Messaging Security for SMB 3.0'

I wonder if they use the same engine or something. --sncuser

Default PC-cillin 2007 & Spybot work for me

Last I checked, PC-cillin still requires that you un-install Spybot before you install PC-c, but you can re-install Spybot later.

I run PC-c with the "Suspicious Software Alarm System" turned off. It generates so many false alarms I would have it off anyway, even without Spybot, and anyway Teatimer beta 1.5 seems MUCH better. I also avoid their "list of suspicious changes", and after one bad mess-up, will NEVER let it try to undo any settings it thinks are suspicious. Maybe that's why I have fewer problems than some other posters (?).

Specifically, I never had the horrible slowdowns reports by some other users. PC-c 2007 seems sluggish compared to 2006, but that seems to have nothing to do with Spybot. I tried Trend Micro's slowdown fix (undo Spybot immunizations and delete one of their files), and it had zero effect on my PC, either in terms of responsiveness or the size of their file when it was rebuilt, so I re-immunized.

I had the same 107 false positives as someone else mentions, with PC-c's spyware scan complaining about Spybot hosts file entries. Spoke with their tech support back in late 2006 and they agreed they shouldn't find those, but I don't think it has been fixed -- whatever else you think of Trend Micro, give them points for having free phone support. Anyway, my fix was to run a PC-c scan with it set to "always ask" instead of "always quarantine", and then tell it to "always ignore" those entries, so it's just a one-time thing, no big deal.

FWIW, I run PC-c with most other features on, settings at or above default. Spybot I run with sdhelper, hosts file, immunize, and IE tweak "lock hosts file". Teatimer is either off or 1.5 beta, because 1.4 also drove me crazy with false alarms. I run with lots of Windows tweaks, such as disabling some useless services, which might also explain differences between my results and other people's.

HTH

Two weeks ago i downloaded Trendmicro IS 2007 they newest release from site. When installing it makes you uninstall Spybot, have done this a couple times. The company i work for only uses Trendmicro for some reason (not a fan) and i am a faithful Spybot user. It seems only to ask you to remove Spybot when using the newest downloaded version, not the version that is on the CD's that we are getting in.

Can someone confirm this, and if so will installing Spybot after TM have any negative effects on either software.

Thanks.

Default more on PC-c

I think the requirement to uninstall Spybot started with an update to the 2007 version, but was not in the original 2007. But if you want to be current, I think you are stuck, because you have to go thru something almost like a new install when you go from original to ver 15.30. Actually, the original version had lots of bugs, and you are generally better off with the later versions that object to Spybot. If you haven't already, manually download the 15.30 version (either full or the upgrade kit), because it won't update automagically.

I think the issues with Spybot & PC-c have been mentioned in my earlier post or others before, at least as long as you run the two programs the way I described. Most importantly, avoid PC-c's "suspicious software alarm system", and do not let their "changes found - list of suspicious changes" try to fix anything.
    Letting the "list of suspicious changes" fix something that had nothing to do with Spybot cost me hours of detective work and fixup -- never again. Also it found over 2000 suspicious hosts file entries (probably the whole Spybot list), not just the 100+ that the spyware scan found.
    I would expect that if you run the "suspicious software alarm system" with all its features active, its hosts-file monitoring feature would conflict with Spybot's hosts-file features. It may have had other Spybot issues too, but I don't recall exactly. I couldn't stand its false alarms anyway, so no issue -- just turn it all off and let Spybot do everything you want it to.

The only other thing I can think of was that on one other PC, the 1st PC-c spyware scan after installing 2007 took far too long, but I'm not sure that had anything to do with Spybot, and I think it was fixed in a later version of PC-c, and anyway it was a 1st-time-only thing, so I wouldn't worry about it unless someone else posts a horror story.

I have exchanged emails with their tech support in the last couple days, mostly to try to nudge them into being more tolerant of Spybot in the 2008 version. They stick to their line that you can't make the two programs coexist and shouldn't try. I don't agree, but I can understand that a company that offers free email AND PHONE support for a $49 product might really, really hate the idea of lots of extra support calls from users who have conflicting software and don't know how to fix things.

Well i always turn off suspicious software alarm anyway, customers complained a lot about it popping up to much. I haven't really noticed any issues myself that would make me consider not installing SB after TM.
    Thank you for the detailed post. I'm not sure what's worse though, running TM 2006 and not doing the best job or TM 2007 hogging all the PC's resources and doing better job. If was up to me i wouldn't use it at all but thats besides the point. Thanks again.

Default 2 Conflicts, Computer Illiterate Needs Help Within 3 Days

Hi everyone, my TrendMicro 2006 expires in 3 days so I paid for the TrendMicro 2007 subscription not knowing there'd be a Spybot conflict, which there is. I'm a computer idiot and don't know how to uninstall and tweak stuff, can only follow simple steps, so I did not go through with the TMicro install once they warned me of the conflict.

Conflict #2 is that today I upgraded my Webroot SpySweeper subscription to include Antivirus (instead of just antispyware) and I paid for it not knowing there'd be a TrendMicro conflict, which there is (SpySweeper alerted me of it, so I didn't go through with the install of that either).

So now with double conflicts with TrendMicro 2007, I'm thinking to take the $50 loss on it and not install it, use Webroot SpySweeper with antivirus and Spybot and the Windows firewall that came with the computer. You guys think I'll be alright, or should I do something else??? (I've also got SpywareBlaster and AdAware)
    Thanks.

About the Windows firewall:Do you mind my asking which operating system you're running?
    The reason I ask is that the windows firewall that comes with Windows XP only filters incoming data,but doesn't control outgoing traffic.So,if you were to become infected with malware/viruses,they could access the Internet without restrictions.
    And,the Windows firewall which comes with Vista can control outgoing traffic,but that option isn't turned on by default,you have to turn that option on,and I personally found it very difficult to configure when I did turn it on.
    So,if you would prefer not to run Windows firewall,I could put up a few firewall suggestions for you,if you like.If you have Windows XP,there are quite a few choices.
    If you have Windows Vista,there are less third-party firewall choices,but I know where there's a list of a few of them that should be compatible with Vista,and I could post a link to those if you like.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2007-05-16 at 23:07.

Cynthia

If you are really lucky, maybe TM might agree to let you extend your 2006 licences in exchange for your 2007 license. FWIW, when I called them about problems with 2007 soon after it came out, they asked if I wanted to revert to 2006, so it might not be hopeless.
    Try calling them. Your PC will run faster on 2006. It will get less protection from PC-cillin, but might still be as safe overall if the switch means you can run other programs like Spybot. (And I don't exactly hate the idea of them getting more negative feedback from Spybot fans -- it might improve our chances of getting better treatment in the 2008 version).
    At work we still have some machines on 2006. They still get signature updates but not program updates.

Or, getting 2007 to co-exist with Spybot isn't all that hard.

Sorry, can't help with the other programs.

Hint for everyone else -- between home, work and relatives, I administer about 25 PCs with Pc-cillin, plus a few with Trend Micro corporate and 2 with ZoneAlarm (the full internet security suite). I have issues with all of them, but I think most other people with $50 to spare would be better off with ZoneAlarm. To me PC-c 2006 is "the good old days".

Default Follow-up On TrendMicro Conflict Help Replies

Thanks Zonobia and Lord Cobol for your compassion and willingness to share your knowledge, and so quickly, too. To follow-up:

1) - I have XP not Vista, but do not understand the significance of being able to control outgoing traffic--I am the only user of this computer and am unclear if this firewall feature is necessary in such a case--I mean, can someone remotely control my outgoing traffic or what?
    2) - I will try your suggestion, Lord Cobol, and call TMicro and ask them to extend the 2006 in exchange for the 2007 I already paid for, and
    3) - I do have $50 to spare for Zone Alarm, but isn't there a free one on the internet, or is it not good enough?

Again, thank you, I'm impressed with the support here.

If you were unknowlingly infected with malware/viruses,the malware/virus might transmit private information from your computer to the bad guys.There's more here about Inbound and Outbound filtering:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto....html#features

Here is a list of popular firewalls,if you decide to download any of them,it's best to download only one,and you'd also need to turn off Windows firewall if you install another firewall:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...ial60.html#pop

Here is how to turn off Windows Firewall:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283673