Thread: Please help get rid of smitfraud remnants

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Esteemed Security Expert: Emeritus

LOL that's good to hear!

Yes. Do run smitfraud. We want to be sure it's all working right before you try to shut down.

Let me know if that works.

Good luck.

I followed the instructions. Ran smitfraud fix, after that i ran the *.exe of this Microsoft utility and did shut down the machine. I rebooted - the problem remains unsolved. I guess this is all?

Do you want to give me another day?

Let's see if we can track down your system file protection problem.

Please go to System32

Right click on sfc_OS.dll

Clcik on Properties. When the properties page appears, click the version tab.

What is the file version please?

Ok. That's the correct version. I can't remember, did you finally find the dllcache folder?

I have to say that because smitfraudfix does fix temporarily I have doubts. But your other symptoms are too odd. They don't match. So I really think you may be better served if you remove Service Pack2 and then use your install CD, if it is a regular install CD, and not a restore CD to do a windows Repair install, be sure your Anti Virus and Firewalls are in good working order
    and then get the windows updates you'll need to reapply.

BUT Before you do that, uninstall Internet Explorer 7. If you attempt a repair install while Internet Explorer 7 is present, it may cause your system to become extremely unstable. Do not attempt a Repair install until IE 7 has been successfully uninstalled and you have restarted after doing so.

Further Help for Repair install here:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    Last edited by Mosaic1; 2007-01-24 at 14:47.

can't u think of anything else?

thx

I'm sorry. I have read your logs. They show no restrictions. And they should. IF you took the regmon logs for rundll32.exe when display properties was broken, they should have shown something. But no. However, snitfraudfix fixed something. And that's a mystery.

Plus, not being abke to register themeui.dll occasionally and havig a white list in Display Properties\desktop

That doesn't follow. A restriction dims that out. I believe you disabled Active Desktop using a vbs you downloaded. That also fixed this for a short time. But it came back.

We have gone in circles.

A repair install is not a format. Your personal files will still be there when you finish. It is a bit of work, but I can't see much hope in keeping this up.