Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help get rid of smitfraud remnants

Esteemed Security Expert: Emeritus

Hi Millslord,

I believe you should uninstall the service pack and then reinstall it for maximum results.

Can you see what version those files are and then get copies from your SP2 CD or Service pack files if the versions are not earlier than these please?

I don't want to skip anything.

Mo

One more thing. Windows File protection should have warned you that those files were missing when you renamed them and ask for your install CD.

Let's see if you are missing sfc_os.dll
    Have a look in system32 for sfc_os.dll and sfcfiles.dll

Are they there?

Both *.dll files are in place.

Regards,

Mills

I uninstalled SP2 and reinstalled it afresh. Ran Win Update too.

The files are the same version as the SP2 files. E.g. uxtheme.dll is 6.0.2900.2180.

Regards,

Mills

When I try changing a theme by scrolling the highlighted area using the wheel mouse button (I can't click on an option - the windows just disappears) I get the following error message:

Could not load theme. Access denied.

File: C:\Documents and Settings\adminX2\Application Data\Microsoft\Window\Themes\Custom.Theme

That message is important. Because you have the NTFS file system, file ownership and security comes into play.

Let's see if you can take ownership of this file:

C:\Documents and Settings\adminX2\Application Data\Microsoft\Window\Themes\Custom.Theme

Follow the directions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

See if that helps.

I followed the instructions in the MS KB below:

How to take ownership of a file
    Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials.

To take ownership of a file, follow these steps: 1. Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
    3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    4. In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

The administrator or the Administrators group now owns the file. To change the permissions on the files and folders under this folder, go to step 5.
    5. Click Add.
    6. In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or group account that you want to give access to the file. For example, type Administrator.
    7. Click OK.
    8. In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user.
    9. When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.

No security tab under custom.theme located in

C:\Documents and Settings\adminX2\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\Custom.Theme

Did you read the entire article? For that security tab to show up on files and folders, you have to follow the rest of the directions.

Oh yes, I see what you mean. I've now read and followed the entire article and the other article therein.
    I had and still have full control of the respective file. Problem situation remains.

That's crazy. I use the smitfraudfixutility under Windows normal mode and everything works fine. I restart the machine and problem reoccurs.