Thread: Questions about Spybot SD-Resident

Question Questions about Spybot SD-Resident

I have been running Spybot S&D for about 3 years, maybe a little longer. I just installed v1.4 today and noticed something that disturbed me about Resident.

When you mouse-over the system tray icon, it displays how many processes are blacklisted. Under v1.3 the number displayed was over 1100 processes. I uninstalled v1.3, installed v1.4, and this number went to zero. Under v1.3 you could not see a list of blacklisted processes (that I could find). Under v1.4 you can bring up the Black & White list by right clicking the sys tray icon and clicking on Settings. My list in v1.4 is completely empty.

My questions are:
    • What happened to the blacklist from v1.3? I did not delete the files and folders under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy before installing 1.4 because when I upgraded I did not know these items were present.
    • Did this create a problem with my 1.4 installation? I received no warnings or error messages during the install process.
    • I did wipe out everything under C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy before installing 1.4.
    • How does this black & white list get created in the first place? It all seemed to happen automatically under 1.3. What about in 1.4?
    Configuration: I am running Spybot S&D 1.4, expert mode, newly installed today, December 16, 2006. Op Sys: Windows 2000 Professional SP4, all latest and greatest updates installed.

When you mouse-over the system tray icon, it displays how many processes are blacklisted. Under v1.3 the number displayed was over 1100 processes. I uninstalled v1.3, installed v1.4, and this number went to zero.
    Have a look here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...19&postcount=4
    From this thread:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=736

How does this black & white list get created in the first place? It all seemed to happen automatically under 1.3. What about in 1.4?
    That gets created when you checkmark Remember This Decision when allowing or denying something with Teatimer.The Black & White list is different from the processes blacklisted when you mouse-over the system tray icon.
    Did you click remember this decision anytime,when you had sd 1.3?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Took a look at this post and followed its instructions. After I cycled TeaTimer, mouse-over of the system tray icon gave 1172 processes blacklisted. The referred post said 1173. Pretty close.

As far as I can tell, the ProcWatch.sbs file is OK. My copy shows as its properties:
    • Size: 67.8 KB (69,456 bytes)
    • Date/time modified: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 9:04:34 AM
    I assume this file gets updated as needed via Spybot S&D's update process. So, I'd say the problem is handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    That gets created when you checkmark Remember This Decision when allowing or denying something with Teatimer.The Black & White list is different from the processes blacklisted when you mouse-over the system tray icon.
    Did you click remember this decision anytime,when you had sd 1.3?
    Honestly don't remember whether I did or not. I remember replying Allow or Deny to questions about registry changes, but don't remember whether or not the box was checked to Remember This Decision. I'll pay close attention to this in the future. Thank you, Zenobia, for the help.

Happy Holidays,
    Jeff

You're welcome.Happy Holidays.