Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spybot SD Registry backup question.

Default Spybot SD Registry backup question.

During the installation/configuration of Spybot, I am asked to backup the registry. How is this completed? Where are the backup file(s) placed? What can these backups be used for?

I have a dead machine, that got its registry blown away, and the SPYBOT SD program created a backup minutes before. Id like to know what options are available.

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Paul

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

There are two files created as back-ups during installation:
    • regLocal.reg
    • regUsers.reg

The directory they are created in depends on the OS you have as follows:
    • Windows 95 or 98:
      C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups
    • Windows ME:
      C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups
    • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
      C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups

The two files are exported "REGEDIT4" type files of specific registry keys as follows:
    • regLocal.reg
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software]
    • regUsers.reg
      [HKEY_USERS]

They are not full backups of the entire registry so I don't know if they will help since you "have a dead machine, that got its registry blown away."

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

First there was some 100% cpu usage happening so I decided to do a scan.

Because of the "auto-user-abort" bug within SSD, I had to reinstall a fresh copy, right after the install.. the program went thru a registry backup wizard which promptly crashed after a few minutes, so I closed spybot using task manager.

Now I'm scanning, but just to be safe, how do I do a registry backup using SSD? I can't find it within the program. Thanks.

edit - The auto user abort happened again.

I did the steps in the thread:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=3155&page=2

1. small fix - done
    2. uninstall, reboot - done
    3. reinstall, updated - done

.. but the scan just aborts itself a quarter of the way. What is wrong??!
    Last edited by Jadeblue; 2007-06-23 at 01:06.

I'm sorry,unfortunately I don't know a fix for the User Abort message you're getting,other than what you already tried.

If you would like to try to backup the registry once again,you can open Spybot,click mode,then Advanced Mode,click Settings over to the left,then click Settings below that.At the top of the page,you should see the Wizard button.If you click that,the wizard should open,and you can try backing up your registry once again.If you'd already immunized and updated,if the steps come up in the wizard again,you could keep pressing the Next button until you get to the end,and then you can press the Start using the program button to get rid of the wizard.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    There are two files created as back-ups during installation:
    • regLocal.reg
    • regUsers.reg

The directory they are created in depends on the OS you have as follows:
    • Windows 95 or 98:
      C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups
    • Windows ME:
      C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups
    • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
      C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups

The two files are exported "REGEDIT4" type files of specific registry keys as follows:
    • regLocal.reg
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software]
    • regUsers.reg
      [HKEY_USERS]

They are not full backups of the entire registry so I don't know if they will help since you "have a dead machine, that got its registry blown away."

Is it ok to delete the two files?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masterthief1324 View Post
    Is it ok to delete the two files?
    Yes it is.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeblue View Post
    First there was some 100% cpu usage happening so I decided to do a scan.

Because of the "auto-user-abort" bug within SSD, I had to reinstall a fresh copy, right after the install.. the program went thru a registry backup wizard which promptly crashed after a few minutes, so I closed spybot using task manager.

Now I'm scanning, but just to be safe, how do I do a registry backup using SSD? I can't find it within the program. Thanks.

edit - The auto user abort happened again.

I did the steps in the thread:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=3155&page=2

1. small fix - done
    2. uninstall, reboot - done
    3. reinstall, updated - done

.. but the scan just aborts itself a quarter of the way. What is wrong??!
    I Know Mcafee Antivirus has issues with spybot. If you have mcafeeAV try disabling it then scanning with spybot, Apart from that im stumped on this question.

Default Where to Post?

Hi, Im' brand new here and experiencing a problem. I read through the headings and don't know where to post my question. I'll post it here and if it should be somewhere else could you tell me where to re-post it?
    3 weeks ago I was running check for problems and it somehow caused a file I was working on to close and I never was able to open it. From that point Spybot ran very, very slow. Finally I uninstalled and reinstalled it. Since then it tells me no newer updates available [I used to get at least 1 update per week]. When I run check for problems it hang up on 23,368 of 109,940 for at least 10 minutes then finally moves on but takes 3 to 4 hours to complete. Before it only took 45 minutes to an hour. Tonight I noticed a lock on an icon in the lower right hand corner [never saw it there before] and when I highlight on it it says:
    SPYBOT-sd RESIDENT 58716 PROCESSES BLACKLISTED aPP:c:\PROGRAM FILE\sPYBOT-SEARCH DESTROY\DATA:\c:\DOCUMENT
    then it cuts off. There also have been several messages that popped up after a scan that I didn't understand but had to cancel them to close the program out. Can anyone offer any help? Thank you, Diana

The lock on an icon in the lower right hand corner is Teatimer.There is more about it here:
    http://www.spybot.info/en/faq/33.html
    Which version of Spybot do you have?If you're not sure,you could open Spybot,click Help,then About.

Although md usa spybot fan said that it's safe to delete the 2 registry backups created during installation, is it also a good idea to keep them if space isn't a problem? When and how would I be likely to need to use them?