Thread: 2 probs - Spybot wont start, zero, nada, and outlook email doesnt function

Default 2 probs - Spybot wont start, zero, nada, and outlook email doesnt function

I installed Spybot on my office computer a few days ago. After the most recent scan, removing 1 or 2 items, Outlook express no longer will send or receive email, and my entire inbox has been deleted (ove 1 year of email). I thought it might have been somethign that I removed that shouldnt have, but when I went to start Spybot, it simply did nothing. Slight flicker of screen, and no error, no window, nothing. I am affraid if I uninstall and reinstall taht I will lose the ability to put back whatever it was I removed to get my email back..

My comp is a P4 2.8, Asus Mobo, Win XP Pro SP2

Also, my laptop has no problem receiving the email in outlook for the same account.. please help!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BravM12
    I am affraid if I uninstall and reinstall taht I will lose the ability to put back whatever it was I removed to get my email back..
    As long as you do not delete the recovery files you should be able to restore. As explained in the following, a normal uninstall does not remove these files:
    How to uninstall?
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/27.html

Also, neither the automated uninstall nor the manual uninstall like described above will remove the following directories, which you will have to remove by hand:
    • Windows 95 or 98: C:\Windows\Aplication Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    • Windows ME: C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    • Windows NT, 2000 or XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\

(Please note that the Application Data Folder is hidden. So if you can't find this folder please check your folder properties) (instructions).

Explanation: this folder contains the backup (the quarantined files) that Spybot-S&D creates. If the Uninstall would remove this folder as well, this would mean that those backups would be gone. We saw it a few times that new users uninstalled Spybot-S&D in panic after they've experienced a small problem, thus removing the backup that would have undone any changes.
    Also consider using the XP System Restore to a point before you lost your email functionality.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

i was able to get spybot runing, restored the last deletion, but no fix to the problem. is it likely that spybot was the cause or not? All folderd are in tact except inbox. It wont even allow me to drag from another folder back into the inbox. I get an error message