got a nasty virus -- AV Security crap. managed to get into Safe Mode. ran SpyBot, it found nothing. tried to update SpyBot. it kept failing. before running a system restore, i thought i'd dump current Spybot and anti-virus programs and get the newest versions when everything was fixed. so i tried to uninstall Spybot thru the Control Panel. thought it worked. did a system restore, then went out to get the latest Spybot.

downloaded version 1.62. tried to run the install and it said a Spybot folder already existed. it appears ver. 1.4 didn't get uninstalled.

tried again to uninstall it thru the Control Panel. got message that i couldn't because unins000.dat is missing.

tried to research this on the site. found nothing. one article said that if you can't uninstall, just delete the Spybot folder. (really??)

so i tried that. now i get an alert that i cannot delete because i cannot access advcheck.

should i just run the new install?? will that delete the old version? i'm thinking this won't work because of all the weirdness i just had with installing the updates.

thank you.