I have an older Gateway E-4000(?) that used to have a 15" monitor and no video card. It has an Intel D845GRG motherboard with an AGP 4x slot. I got it to accept an FX 5600 GeForce video card with a DVI outlet.
I just got a HP 2310m monitor hooked up to it. The monitor papers say that optimum resolution is 1920 by 1080. The display settings will only turn up to 1600 by 900. I assume that is a limitation of the video card,not Windows XP and there don't seem to be any new drivers available. Nevertheless,the picture is better than with the small monitor,interestingly my picture is much better/sharper than a similar 23" monitor that I saw in a Staples store but that one was connected to a small computer without a video card,with a VGA plug.
I wonder if a GeForce 6200 card would produce 1920 by 1080? I wonder if there is any better way to look for AGP 4x (and I think AGP 8x will fit but run at 4x on my system)cards than looking on Amazon.com?
You have to be careful to find out whether video cards offered for sale are AGP or PCIx or whatever fits in the computer and I think some card models came in seperate AGI and PCIx flavors.
Do new video cards usually get marked down in price after they have sat on the shelf for a couple years? And do only video cards for playing games(which I am not interested in,only a good picture as in watching video streaming or movie disks)make you need a huge power supply? Would any plain PCI (not PCIx or PCIe) video card support 1920 by 1080?