Quote Originally Posted by rdsok View Post
Hi all,

Randy ( rdsok ) Moderator from the AVG Free forum here...

I'd thought I'd clarify some issues concerning the AVG Pro detection that was mentioned. AVG Pro AntiVirus also detects adware and other potentially unwanted programs... AVG Free only detects standard ( if there is such a term today ) virus's, trojans and worms but not the others that Pro can detect. You should also note that Pro detected ( falsely in this case ) this as a Potentially Unwanted Program... not as a virus and there is a big difference as many here already know.

This is an important distinction that users really need to pay attention to with any protection program or they may be getting rid of a utility that they knowingly download and use for good reasons... a lot of good utils are detected by AV and AS programs just to alert the user to their presence and not to indicate that the program is malware of some sort. Commonly detected programs include network scanners, password retrieval utils and many others as well. So the point is... pay attention to what your software is really telling you about the items it is detecting and don't just blindly delete everything listed or you may loose something you don't want lost.

PS... just for good measure... I've tested with the AVG Free 7.1x and 7.5x as well as AVG Pro 7.5 versions against this and it still comes up as clean..
you bring up some really great points about avg pro vs. avg free and also anti-virus/anti-spyware programs.

great job on the quick response and modification of the definitions file. that's why i use avg pro. plus it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.