Thread: Search for only 1 malware?

Question Search for only 1 malware?

I've used SSD since v1.3 and usually get the call when one of my friends gets infected (again). :-)

I'm wondering if the following makes sense:

If the program cannot fix a particular malware and offers to run on reboot, can you accept the offer, then go into settings and select everything EXCEPT the badguy in question in the "Ignore products" screen in settings so that when the program DOES run on reboot, it only looks for that one malware (and therefore the scan runs much faster)?

I wasn't smart enough to think of this during the actual occurance, and haven't had this situation come up since I did think of it - so I'm asking here.

What do you think?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

That should work to reduce the scan time.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Something like that has been requested before and is listed here. Only two votes for that so far though...
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

I see. If I was running the program 5 times a day (like with a fixit shop, I suppose) then this feature might be more attractive because of the time savings. Otherwise the difference between a 2-minute rescan and a 15-minute rescan would seem to be worth the piece of mind.