Thread: Spybot will not open or close when prompted

Default Spybot will not open or close when prompted

I have used spybot for a while now, every time i click on the icon i have to click on it 8 times to get it to open, other than upon start up. Also now when i try to close spybot, it will not close. It is stuck in my task bar. I have windows xp, and i have Mcaffie which i have no problem closing.I get numerous error report when it doesnt close.The windows come up and say"Program not responding" I never had any problems like this with 1.4

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

What version of "Spybot - Search & Destroy" are you running (Spybot > Help About)?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lindapomranky View Post
    I have used spybot for a while now, every time i click on the icon i have to click on it 8 times to get it to open, other than upon start up. Also now when i try to close spybot, it will not close. It is stuck in my task bar. I have windows xp, and i have Mcaffie which i have no problem closing.I get numerous error report when it doesnt close.The windows come up and say"Program not responding" I never had any problems like this with 1.4
    Linda
    You don't say what version you are using, but if it is an early version of 1.5.1 the very long delay at startup made it appear as though it was not responding. This was subsequently fixed and the current 1.5.2.20 version starts quickly.

I beleive i am using spybot 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    Linda
    You don't say what version you are using, but if it is an early version of 1.5.1 the very long delay at startup made it appear as though it was not responding. This was subsequently fixed and the current 1.5.2.20 version starts quickly.
    It doesnt delay at start up upon starting my computer, only when I want to open it and use it

It is 1.5.15 version I am running. Now it is telling me i cant stop the check because i am not the administrator, but I am

If you are actually running Spybot – Search Destroy 1.5.1.15, I suggest that you uninstall that version and install Spybot – Search Destroy 1.5.2.20. The installation program (spybotsd152.exe) can be download from one of the mirror sites listed here:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I just installed 1.5.2 The strange thing is when i tried to uninstall the older version, it still said there were files . I went to programs add-remove and did it all, including restarting my pc. Was there ever even a version of 1.5.15? I am suspicous now.

So far I am running a check and am able to move it in and out of my task bar with no problem.Thanks to all for their help. I hope that this is resolved now. I did download this version from the homepage of s&d.So 1.5.1 and 1.5.15 are the same?
    Last edited by lindapomranky; 2008-02-10 at 06:56.

The Help > About for the version with the slow start problem could possibly have read "Spybot – Search Destroy 1.5.15" although I believe it was actually "Spybot – Search Destroy 1.5.1.15".