Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Infected w/a Pop up saying my computer has a virus..virtumonde?

To tell you the truth, no and I havent had problems since my 1st post. Just slow computer and had trouble getting to the Spybot home page. I really dont understand this and I really wish I would have made a screen shot of what happened when it did. I kinda freaked out and immediately clicked on the "x" on the two boxes that popped up on me and closed it out. It just looked so familar, like when i had virtumunde back in August. The only thing was it wasnt blue like virtumunde was and I recall virtumunde looking like IE or Microsoft was sending the message. I recall it being red and a box popped up in the middle of my screen saying that my computer was infected and it was running a scan in the background. I only clicked on an article I wanted to read on my Yahoo home page (which I do frequently).

Question: Last time I think I got virtumunde by my dd downloading Limewire. I even found that some of hte songs she was trying to get had errors in them or were not even songs they were other things children shouldnt be getting. Which was probably downloaded along w/the songs she was trying to access. I know there is a folder still on my computer labeled "Limewire". Ive wanted to delete it, but I am afraid that I will delete any songs that she might have on her MP3 player. Guess Im thinking if I delete there would be no record of the song and her MP3 wont pick it up and the song will be gone? Please advise and please continue w/finishing this up.

Thanks so far!
    Tina Stout

Security Expert: Emeritus

Well according to forum rules that folder should be deleted.

In addition to that, it is illegal to download music which is copyrighted.
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008-2011

Member of ASAP and UNITE since 2006

Default Deleted Folder as requested

The folder has been deleted. At the time someone from S&D had me remove Limewire, they did not advise me to remove the folder (only the program). I told my daughter to never download that program to my computer again and she has not. I noticed while cleaning out files and documents, that it was there.

Can you elaborate on Bear Share? That is the one that you requested me to remove. From what I understand, its paid music downloads w/some free content that does not infringe. BearShare's web site says "Our service is endorsed by the key players in the Music Industry".

Now that that has been done. What do I need to do now to finish up our sessions? What do you recommend me to use to keep my computer up to date? I have S&D and did have Spyware doctor, which has since expired. I really like both programs alot. I only have a virus program w/Spyware and not sure that it is even benefiting me as I havent seen it do anything.

Tina
    Tina Stout

"Can you elaborate on Bear Share? That is the one that you requested me to remove. From what I understand, its paid music downloads w/some free content that does not infringe. BearShare's web site says "Our service is endorsed by the key players in the Music Industry"."

That is true but it is still a p2p program and violates forum rules.

"Now that that has been done. What do I need to do now to finish up our sessions? What do you recommend me to use to keep my computer up to date? I have S&D and did have Spyware doctor, which has since expired. I really like both programs alot. I only have a virus program w/Spyware and not sure that it is even benefiting me as I havent seen it do anything."

Antimalware programs can't find everything. I can give you suggestions unless you have any questions left?

Understood. The only question that I would have is Is there a program out there that actually does the background scan w/the box that pops in the middle (like virtumunde)? You know, like a real program or was virtumunde the only program that was created to look that way? Im starting to wonder if it was an actual program on my computer that did that and I thought it was a new form of virtumunde. Since virtumunde is the only one that ive ever saw that did that.

Any further suggestions that you have would be greatly appreciated!

Tina Stout

In theory it is possible, yes.

Before final instructions, does McAfee have a firewall?

Default Firewall

Yes, McAfee has a firewall, but I dont use McAfee. The only thing that is updated is the Anti Spamware index. It states that I can get a free 30 day free trial of McAfee's Personal Firewall Plus.
    Tina Stout

I see. Does Spyware Doctor have an antivirus as well?

Default Spyware

No, I do not see that it had a firewall. Its just a program that detects malware and is also an antivirus program.
    Tina Stout

Then please uninstall McAfee and post back fresh HijackThis log next