Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fake Anti Virus renders computer almost inoperable - cannot run DDS

Hi

Completed recommended steps in post of 10-09-11 16:59, then downloaded and ran OTC. Everything seems to be working fine now. I can't thank you enough.

I directed her to the resources you mention in the last post, which I will look at myself. She's back in a couple of weeks and will go over these recommendations with her. A question: are all these recommended programs complimentary and can be used together? I ask because I think I have seen on this forum that sometimes security programs such as anti-virus programs can interfere with each other.

Cheers

Emeritus-Security Expert

Hello John,

The programs I posted will all work together and there all free. The only thing a home user has to purchase is Anti Virus software but there are also free versions if one wants to go that route and there more than adequate. Whats important is to just have one anti virus program and one firewall, more is over kill and wont accomplish anything. Some people think that installing 2 or 3 AV programs will make them more secure when in reality it will not, they use a ton of system resources working in the background and most times they will fight each other degrading system performance. Just use one, keep it updated and run a scan periodically.

Just read what I posted because SpywareGuard does the same as the TeaTimer in Spybot , so if you install Spybot and also SG, just dont enable the Teatimer in Spybot and you will be fine. SpywareBlaster works a bit differently so you can also install that.

Out side of what i posted the only thing you need is common sense, dont open emails from someone you dont know, dont download attachments unless you know for sure it came from someone you know. Don't be fooled by going into a website and a pop up tells you your infect , click here for a free scan, your not infected but you will be if you fall for it. Legit vendors don't operate that way.

Keep Malwarebytes, its free, update it and run a scan a few times a month and remove anything it finds ( hopefully nothing ) . The paid version has a malware blocker, I have it on all 3 of my systems, but thats up to you.

Take care,
    Ken
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013-2014

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Just a reminder that threads will be closed if no reply in 3 days.

Emeritus-Security Expert

Since this issue appears resolved this thread will be closed
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013-2014

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Just a reminder that threads will be closed if no reply in 3 days.