Thread: Help with my computer, Bad_Pool_Caller that led to some weird file recovery behaviour

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Not sure...

"aw" could stand for alias wavefront, which used to own Maya, the software I use at work. I have valid licenses for a suite of programs (now owned by Autodesk) that includes Mudbox, Maya, 3dMax, etc. I bought an educational package a few years back.

But if it's used to get around a license, then I'm not sure what it's for.

-AW

Emeritus-Security Expert

OK, just want to let you know to never fool around downloading anything via the torrents , the illegal stuff is all infected.

I see you posted the correct link for your test at the Pit, lets see what they have to say
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013-2014

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Just a reminder that threads will be closed if no reply in 3 days.

Default Sorry about the lapse...

...I didn't get a notification that you had replied to my last entry. I think I'm still subscribed to this thread and I usually get an email when you post...not this time though (?).

Anyways, it looks like their suggestions were all related to optimizing performance. I was hoping that they would have some hints as to why my chkdsk is failing. The bright note is that they didn't find any bug-a-boos so that's a relief.

I just wish I could get my machine off Safe Mode and have it run successfully through chkdsk. Do you know if, while in chkdsk, it's normal for the machine to stop talking to the monitor? Maybe it is running, just taking a long time?

Suggestions?

Thanks
    AWhang

Emeritus-Security Expert

Awang,

Are you saying that CHKDSK runs on every startup, are you not able to boot into normal windows ?

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Default chkdsk on boot-up

Yes, so far, everytime I attempt to start it tries to run a chkdsk.
    I'm pretty sure it's because I had asked for a chkdsk and the only way it can start one is on boot-up.

I recall, after my blue screen of death with the bad pool caller, it was suggested to run a chkdsk, so I tried. But, because my machine keeps dying on the 2nd of 5 checks, it never completes. I then need to shut my machine down (holding on/off button until the machine dies) then I'd restart...only to end up back on the chkdsk page, where I'd get stuck on the 2nd of 5 again...endless cycle.

Thanks
    AWhang

Emeritus-Security Expert

Give this a shot

First click Start> Run> bring up a command prompt by typing in "CMD" and type fsutil dirty query C: . This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type CHKNTFS /X C:. The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and type and now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing Chkdsk /f /r c:. This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type fsutil dirty query c: and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Default not dirty?!

I typed in that fsutil command and got an immediate response of
    volume - c: is not dirty
    I'll go through with the other steps and try a manual chkdsk to see if that makes a difference...maybe my system just takes a long time to chk so the monitor goes to sleep?

Stay tuned...

Thanks
    AWhang