Thread: IE7 and Outlook HTML e-mail create is slow

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Raincheck!

Looked closely at the uneffected pc and realised (because I don't actually use this one for emails) that the default setting was to use Word! Unticked that box! Voila! B*gge*ed! Bet I could almost get the email sent before the text appeared.
    Removing immunisation didn't make any difference.
    Naive question: what is the problem with leaving the Word box ticked? My normal way of using Outlook is not to use Word so I don't know what effect this has either obvious to the user or in underlying security issues.

We've had a similar problem with one of our applications that reuses the MSHTML control. The problem was reported by some users who are using Spybot with immunisation.

I'd be interested to hear if the fix we've found helps fix Outlook as well. The solution we have at the moment is to add an extra entry into the Windows Registry.

In the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MIME_SNIFFING

Add a new DWORD value called "outlook.exe" and set this to 1.

Exclamation Potential Fix.

Quote Originally Posted by ABurt View Post
    We've had a similar problem with one of our applications that reuses the MSHTML control. The problem was reported by some users who are using Spybot with immunisation.

I'd be interested to hear if the fix we've found helps fix Outlook as well. The solution we have at the moment is to add an extra entry into the Windows Registry.

In the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MIME_SNIFFING

Add a new DWORD value called "outlook.exe" and set this to 1.
    Hey Guys, I think we're onto a partial fix here...

Everyone give a big round of applause for ABurt, as this is a really solid lead!

This is actually something that I was investigating through my own research, and then I spotted this post outlining very similar steps. I went ahead and applied this fix to my registry and indeed it does work!

However...

Although the fix works, it's not complete. The very first HTML-formatted e-mail that you open or create will still scan your "bad domains," but all other e-mails that are opened/created after this will operate flawlessly. Furthermore, your typing will be back to normal, and at no point will it scan the "bad domains."

To apply this fix, follow the instructions quoted above, or copy and paste the following text into a text file and then save it out with the extension ".REG" Once saved, double click on the file and then click OK at the prompt to automatically add its contents to your registry.

========================================================
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MIME_SNIFFING]
    "outlook.exe"=dword:00000001
    ========================================================

*Warning, do not apply this fix unless you are comfortable with editing your registry, and if you are certain that this issue/fix applies to you.

I still need to check to see if there are any other unwanted side-effects or any other issues with this fix, but so far it looks solid. I will continue to do more research to see if we can make it even more complete. Until then, good luck!

-Ronald Reagan
    Last edited by RonaldReagan; 2007-05-15 at 02:06.