Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: baidu.com in hosts?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antdude View Post
    ... I still can't find the one you mentioned earlier in your instructions. ..
    The "one" what?

Go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced Mode » Tools » Resident. Is the following item checked or unchecked?
    • Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    The "one" what?

Go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced Mode » Tools » Resident. Is the following item checked or unchecked?
    I can't find this one: "To stop "SDHelper" from blocking these URLs, go into Internet Explorer > Tools > select "Spybot – Search Destroy Configuration" > then in the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" window in the "Settings" tab under "When encountering bad things" there are three options:

* Block all pages silently
    * Display dialog when blocking
    * Ask for blocking confirmation"

I do not see it. Yes, it is in advanced mode.

antdude:

Please answer:

... Go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced Mode » Tools » Resident. Is the following item checked or unchecked?

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

antdude:

Please answer:
    Yes, it is active like I said earlier. Please see my 12:32 post.

antdude:

Yes, it is active like I said earlier. ...
    Sorry, I did see that you said that the SDHelper BHO was active (and still don't see that - Note below).

If the SDHelper BHO is active, then the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" option should appear when you you go into Internet Explorer > Tools. If not there is an alternate way of altering the options within the SDHelper BHO. If you are running TeaTimer. Right click on the Teatimer icon in the system tray (system notification) area of the Taskbar, select "Resident IE", then choose "Ask for blocking confirmation".

______

... Please see my 12:32 post.
    Note: You must relize that your 12:32 post is not my 12:32 post depending on the forum time zone that you and I selected for the forum.

Talking

antdude:

Sorry, I did see that you said that the SDHelper BHO was active (and still don't see that - Note below).

If the SDHelper BHO is active, then the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" option should appear when you you go into Internet Explorer > Tools. If not there is an alternate way of altering the options within the SDHelper BHO. If you are running TeaTimer. Right click on the Teatimer icon in the system tray (system notification) area of the Taskbar, select "Resident IE", then choose "Ask for blocking confirmation".

______

Note: You must relize that your 12:32 post is not my 12:32 post depending on the forum time zone that you and I selected for the forum.
    My bad. I forgot to mention the time zone (PDT).

No, I am not running TeaTimer.

I just realized something. I can't do it without launching IE and accessing SpyBot's configutration. I thought I could do it through Spybot program by itself not via IE! Got it now. Hmm, does this feature exist in other Web browsers like SeaMonkey and Firefox?

Thanks and sorry about the long thread!
    Last edited by antdude; 2008-06-08 at 01:10.

Question

My bad. I forgot to mention the time zone (PDT).

No, I am not running TeaTimer.

I just realized something. I can't do it without launching IE and accessing SpyBot's configutration. I thought I could do it through Spybot program by itself not via IE! Got it now. Hmm, does this feature exist in other Web browsers like SeaMonkey and Firefox?

Thanks and sorry about the long thread!
    Also, is Baidu.com still sending toolbar without user's permission? Others and I can't seem to reproduce it.

antdude:

... Hmm, does this feature exist in other Web browsers like SeaMonkey and Firefox? ...
    No. SDHelper is a BHO (Browser Helper Object) and only works with Interent explorer. There is not equivalent plug-in for Mozilla browsers.

antdude:

No. SDHelper is a BHO (Browser Helper Object) and only works with Interent explorer. There is not equivalent plug-in for Mozilla browsers.
    Ah. It would be nice to see a Mozilla version (extension?). Nice feature to allow/deny/block automatically on bad sites.

hello,

due to recent changes on baidu we will not block its site with the next update anymore.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.