Thread: error retrieving update info file

Default error retrieving update info file

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.2.46
    Detection updates 2010-09-29
    No proxy
    Comodo Firewall.....no complaints from it

My detection rules are up to date.....but...

Every night @ 2am I do a check for new ones. And now all the sudden, for the past 4 or 5 days, I wake up in the morning with a dialog on the screen showing "error retrieving update info file"...I clear that and get another dialog....escapes me...something about "please select files...." I clear that and it terminates.

If I run the updater from the S&D app it just says "no updates available" or words to that effect.

Is all this now normal?

Thanks Much for your time,
    Chris

Hello Chris,

"Error retrieving update info file":
    1. Please check your firewall. Most people who do not have problem #1 do have Spybot-S&D accidentally blocked in their firewall.

2. If nothing else works, you can still use the manual updater which is available on the website - the Detection Update.
    (Notice: if the Info page does not show the correct update date after installing the updates with the manual updater, please ignore that - this will be fixed with the next release)

If you get this error message:
    "Please select some update files from the list first"

It seems to be a problem with the compatibility under Windows Vista/7.
    You can solve the problem as follows:

1. Download this new SDUpdate.exe.

To use this beta file, extract the downloaded archive into the main application folder (usually C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\) and replace the old file with the new one.

2. If this does not help go to your SDUpdate.exe file in your program folder: 
    C:\Program Files\ Spybot - Search & Destroy\

Rightclick the file and choose properties.
    Then choose the tab compatibilty.
    There activate the checkbox in front of "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select from the drop down menu "WindowsXP". Now click "Apply" and "OK".

That should fix the problem.

This problem has also been discussed in our forum.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello Chris,

"Error retrieving update info file":
    1. Please check your firewall. Most people who do not have problem #1 do have Spybot-S&D accidentally blocked in their firewall.

2. If nothing else works, you can still use the manual updater which is available on the website - the Detection Update.
    (Notice: if the Info page does not show the correct update date after installing the updates with the manual updater, please ignore that - this will be fixed with the next release)

If you get this error message:
    "Please select some update files from the list first"

It seems to be a problem with the compatibility under Windows Vista/7.
    You can solve the problem as follows:

1. Download this new SDUpdate.exe.

To use this beta file, extract the downloaded archive into the main application folder (usually C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\) and replace the old file with the new one.

2. If this does not help go to your SDUpdate.exe file in your program folder: 
    C:\Program Files\ Spybot - Search & Destroy\

Rightclick the file and choose properties.
    Then choose the tab compatibilty.
    There activate the checkbox in front of "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select from the drop down menu "WindowsXP". Now click "Apply" and "OK".

That should fix the problem.

This problem has also been discussed in our forum.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    I don't see anything being blocked in my firewall, and SaferNetworking is in my Trusted Vender's list. (I did add both SDUpdate.exe & SpybotSD.exe to my Comodo Firewall 'Trusted Application List')....need to wait and see if that fixes it.

Using the 'Manual Method' is how I found out that I already have the latest Detections.....I just keep getting this error whenever the update runs through the Scheduled Task that S&D creates......like something is wrong there.

Sorry I neglected to mention my OS..... its XP SP3 + all updates ....Not Windows Vista/7.

I am getting the "Please select some update files from the list first" dialog after I close the first error dialog.

Should I still replace the SDUpdate.exe file with the Beta?

Thanks for your time,
    Chris

I am still having the issue, as are others in this Forum. I tried to reinstall Spybot S&D, but that didn't help either. I guess I'll retry that and not do the update while in the installlation,,,as I read elsewhere.....I don't know what else to try....Any Ideas?

Can't figure what happened ....all the sudden, this just started happening.

Thanks Much!

Chris

Question

I tried reinstalling again, this time skipping the update. But I still get the error every morning on my screen. I guess I'll just do away with the auto update and try to remember to do that once a week.

Any Ideas?

Thanks Much,
    Chris