Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem With Editing Host Files "Make Sure That Path and Filename are Correct"

Default Problem With Editing Host Files "Make Sure That Path and Filename are Correct"

Hello everyone,

As you can tell from the title, I am having a problem with editting my host files. When I try to edit my host files, I uncheck "Lock Hosts as Read Only" in the tweaks tab, use the command prompt to go to host files, edit the files, save them, and then recheck the host files. I editted my host files many times before hand, but recently I have gotten the following message when I try to save my host files.

Cannot Create the C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    make sure that the path and the filename are correct

I don't know what to do, and I would greatly apperciate the help. Also, the computer I am using is a Toshiba laptop, I use Windows XP, and the version I spybot I have is 1.6.2.46. One other thing, I am not sure if this will affect spybot or not, but I recently got a big update on Cisco NAC Agent at the college I am staying at. I was not until after I got this new update, that I had trouble editting my host files (though note, the last time I successfully editted my host files was about a month ago). That is all, thanks for the help.

Working on the Hosts file can be a pain as it is hidden in various ways to make it difficult to get to.
    To avoid all the hassle of finding and unprotecting the Hosts file I use a neat little utility called HostsToggle.
    It allows you to check, edit, or temporarily disable the Hosts file without any expert knowledge.
    It automatically locates the Hosts file and also unlocks and relocks the file each time you edit the file.

HostsToggle adds a red button to the system tray, from which you can enable/disable, check and edit your Hosts file.
    Download from http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network...tsToggle.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by DougCuk View Post
    Working on the Hosts file can be a pain as it is hidden in various ways to make it difficult to get to.
    To avoid all the hassle of finding and unprotecting the Hosts file I use a neat little utility called HostsToggle.
    It allows you to check, edit, or temporarily disable the Hosts file without any expert knowledge.
    It automatically locates the Hosts file and also unlocks and relocks the file each time you edit the file.

HostsToggle adds a red button to the system tray, from which you can enable/disable, check and edit your Hosts file.
    Download from http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network...tsToggle.shtml
    I download HostsToggle (in a zip form), but when I try to run it a message appears saying...

"You must have Write permission to C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ folder and the hosts file."

I tried to go on to the HostsToggle home website, but I could not find an answer to this problem.

I don't think this is a problem with the Hosts Toggle utility.
    I think this error message is just confirming that something is "wrong" with the normal folder or file permissions for the Hosts file.

This "Cisco NAC Agent" you mentioned may well be the cause - a quick Google search describes this software as:
    Cisco Network Admission Control (NAC) is a system to enforce the security policy of your company on all devices attempting network access.
    Sounds to me like it is designed to lock down access to critical network elements which would include the Hosts file.
    Why is this software installed and who is configuring it?

This "Cisco NAC Agent" you mentioned may well be the cause - a quick Google search describes this software as:

Sounds to me like it is designed to lock down access to critical network elements which would include the Hosts file.
    Why is this software installed and who is configuring it?
    Every student and employee must have Cisco NAC Agent install on his/her personal laptop or desktop if he/she wants to access the internet from the University's network. Once it is installed, the user must put in his/her user name and password before accessing the internet. This is so that only students and employees can access the university's network. It also makes sure you have ceratin programs on your computer before continueing (such as Macfee and spybot). I do not exactly who configures it, my best guess would be it is the people down at techinical support. If a student for some reason does not have Cisco on their computer and has no access to the net, they go to the universty's tech support people to get the progam. Do you think I should contact the people at tech support at the Univeristy and ask them about it?

I am almost certain this software is locking access to the Hosts file and probably a lot of other network/internet settings. The university tech support should be able to tell you whether they are prepared to allow you to bypass this lockout.

I am almost certain this software is locking access to the Hosts file and probably a lot of other network/internet settings. The university tech support should be able to tell you whether they are prepared to allow you to bypass this lockout.
    I contacted the tech support at the University. The Cisco Agent and the Macfee programs that all students need to access the net went through a major update. They said that the update made the Cisco Agent and Macfee programs much more strict and secure. They also mention that it could be that the Cisco Agent that's not allowing me to edit my host files. I asked if I could uninstall it, edit my host files, and then reinstall it. They said I could, but they did not recommend it. Apperently, reinstalling the program can cause even more problems (great...). So there is that one option.

Another option for might be to uninstall and reinstall spybot. You see, what I am looking to do is to unblock a website. It turns out I need to use this website for a class (don't you hate irony). Correct me if I am wrong, but unistalling and reinstalling spybot clear all the host files I currently set up, but keep the ones that spybot put in (at least after I update it). I can use the library computers, for now, but would be eaiser for me if I could just use my laptop.

I think I should try uninstall and reinstall spybot. Once I have access to the websites I need to get on, I can try uninstall the Cisco Agent, see if I can edit my host files, and then reinstall the Cisco Agent. What do you think?

Uninstalling Spybot will NOT remove the Hosts file immunisations - you would need to undo the immunisation to achieve that - but I guess that is blocked by the new Cisco update.

Have you tried rebooting into Safe mode and trying the Hosts file edit from there - the Cisco software should not be installed in Safe mode. The only problem may be that the Cisco software has changed the ownership of the file or folder and this may still be active as it is part of the file system.
    Last edited by DougCuk; 2009-08-31 at 22:13.

Esteemed Member

Can you navigate to it in Windows Explorer?

You will need to go to control panel, folder options, view tab, check show hidden files and folders, uncheck hide protected system operating files (click yes or OK to warning message).

If using search, click on more advanced options, check the first three boxes.

Rosenfeld: If you re-read the first post in this thread you will see that Wanderer57 obviously knows how to find and unprotect the Hosts file under normal circumstances - as he has done it many times before. The problem here is that something (almost certainly the Cisco NAC security software) is blocking write access to the Hosts file or possibly the whole folder.